Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp home edition really slow and not responding

• Please log in to reply

parkid26

parkid26

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, i am new to this site and was looking for helpn with my xp home edition. my computer has got really slow and wont respond, sometimes it would take hours to load up the internet and is liable to crash when it does finally load, i downloaded comodo registry cleaner and cleaned my registry but now it says that it can't find dll files and error messages come up everywere. also if i try and defragment the harddrive the computer wont restart and i have to start in safe mode, this also happens if i use comodo to free up disk space, norton security runs regular scans and can't find any viruses. does anyone know what would be wrong with my computer? my computer also uses a selective start up to stop to many programs from starting when turn on the laptop.

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, first of all: before you 'cleaned' the register, did you take a back up ?
Registry cleaners can be tricky sometimes, before you adapt changes to it, ALWAYS take a back up.

Use TFC to get rid of temporary files:
>> http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html
Be sure to save any unsaved work and reboot when cleaning is done (if not automatically)

Next step, defragment your hard disk by using Auslogics:
>> http://download.cnet...e...&tag=button
Note: don't let any programs open except for Auslogics

Since when did your computer slow down ? Did you install new software ?

cheers

Edited by bartblaze, 28 November 2009 - 09:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
bartblaze the order that OP needs to do the work is TFC first and then Auslogic Defrag. Get all the uninstalling and deleting done first before defragging or you will have to do it again.
Also it may be a good ideal to check the Autoruns to see what is running in the background.

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*

bartblaze the order that OP needs to do the work is TFC first and then Auslogic Defrag. Get all the uninstalling and deleting done first before defragging or you will have to do it again.
Also it may be a good ideal to check the Autoruns to see what is running in the background.

Indeed, I swapped them somehow :) . Changed.

And yes, Autoruns is handy, just waiting till he replies... maybe TFC and defragging did the job .

cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One other point is paki26 doesn't say if this is a desktop or laptop so be careful what you do with the Autoruns. Wouldn't want to disable something if it is a laptop. :)

parkid26

parkid26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, yea my computer is a laptop, it started getting slower over this past few months and thats why i downloaded comodo registry cleaner but when it was cleaning the registry it said that some files where corrupt but the couldnt remove them because they where in use so i removed the rest, it speeded up my computer for a few days but then when back to being slow and unresponsive, error meassages come up saying that the computer has been asked to do something that it cant and has to terminate, other error messages are; visual c and runtime libary errors and dll files are missing, yes comodo did back up my files and im going to retrieve them now but don't know what to do next? :) thanks for the help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Lets see what you have in your startup
Please click on
Start and then on Run
Type in msconfig and then press Enter
Now click on Startup
Next click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint

In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save As
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop

In your next reply attach the screenshot.

parkid26

parkid26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, i done the auto runs and deleted the files not found, there were about 15 of them but the autoruns.txt file is too large to send as an attachment,the maximum is 500k and the file is 4,700k. the screenshot of the system configuration is below msconfig.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy and paste the file in your next reply.
Pic shows a couple of entries but I should be able to fix that with the Autoruns log.

Advertisements

breal35

breal35

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi, im new to this and i was lookin for some help with my emachines M5310 laptop. i have windows xp home sp1. my problem is i have this error code: windows cannot start because there is a missing or corrupt file. System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys.
iv tried the 3 partition restor disks that came with the laptop and it wont fix my problem. it tells me to repair with the original startup disk,but it didnt come with one,just the restor disks. they are spose to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall windows xp. any help would be awsome..... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: breal35

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

parkid26

parkid26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi, i tried to copy and paste the autoruns log but my computer just freezes and becomes unresponsive while its trying to paste, i eventually have to shut it down and start again. is there any other way of sending it?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can attach it but that doesn't seem to work. The other option is If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

parkid26

parkid26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts