Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kubuntu/Linux users

• Please log in to reply

Jayman01

Jayman01

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
HI there, everyone! I'm a Kubuntu user, and I'm not liking my experience so far. personally, I like how hands on Linux is, but KDE has problems, and apparently I'm not the only one having them. Now I'm not talking about the times that I accidently mess up, that's always fun getting myself out of it. It's just sometimes, I install packages, either through one of the package managers, or with the console, and the programs don't work. I've tried using md5sum to check the integrity of the downloads when I could, but even then, big problems.

Other things are like fonts on the desktop changing, icon sizes, etc., just because I tried different settings, and changing them back to what it was.

Also, they say that you can install different packages without having to restart your computer, but if I want to open the program through the desktop menu, I have to restart the computer. Otherwise, the program either isn't there, or it doesn't work, and won't work even if I reboot. Then: purge the program, reinstall, reboot, and then it works.

Now I know that people using linux don't like hearing this, but i had much less problems with Windows XP. They all say that you get no viruses in Linux! So? I hadn't had an active virus in years with WinXP. I had AVG Free, Sbybot, Zonealarm firewall, used Hijackthis, Blacklight (though I never knew if it actually worked, it never gave me any results on anyone's computer), and tested other malware detection programs.

Others will say you have to reboot under windows constantly. I've had my computer on 24/7 for the past years, even under Windows. So far, I've already rebooted my Kubuntu more then the number of times that I had to reboot XP over the past year. I've had Linux for about 3 months now, tested it in dual boot with windows a few months before that.

I've read in certain Linux forums that KDE4 is the best kernel yet, but because it's still new enough, they haven't gotten all the bugs out of it yet. Some have suggested to going back to an older version of Kubuntu that had KDE3, but it isn't worth the trouble for me. I've been looking at other distributions, and one that has got my attention so far is OpenSUSE. HAs anyone any comments on that one?

The reason I stay with Linux and not go back to Windows is for the reason that I've learned so much more about computers in the past three months than in the past year, lol. Also, you can't modify windows as much as Linux. AND there is so much more support for Linux. Windows doesn't push people to use the command line as much as Linux. Which i find is important in knowing how a computer works, and fixing problems yourself.

I just want to edit that this topic is only to rant and rave about our likes and dislikes of certain Linux distributions. This is not a help thread. If you're looking to solve problems you have with your distribution, have a look at this forum.

Edited by Jayman01, 03 December 2009 - 05:39 AM.

Advertisements

ektor

ektor

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Im A Ubuntu User But Soon I Will The Disk I Requested 1 Is Kubuntu And The Other One Is Edubuntu And OpenSuse It's Great But It's Still Has Some Minor Bug's

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you should try pressing Ctrl, Alt + Backspace on your keyboard, this will log you out,
just log back in as normal - saves rebooting,

changing the settings for your appearance in kde will change all the settings for kde

don't know about kubuntu, as i use mandriva, but there should be something similar to this,

k > apps > tools > system tools > configure your desktop > general > appearance

and

k > apps > tools > system tools > configure your desktop > advanced > desktop theme details

if you choose, for instance, plastik - then customize it to your liking,
then change to oxygen - you will need to customize again,
you can save the settings you create - but i don't see the point

kde4 is not a kernel, its a desktop environment, its just a user interface so you don't have to use the command line,
most linux versions now have now switched from kde3 to kde4, but you can still install kde3 on your present system using your install and remove software,
if you don't like kde then install gnome or one of the other desktops,

the kernel in your kubuntu is the heart of your system - all the rest is just eye candy and user interfaces

oh - as a note,

ubuntu comes with gnome desktop environment (but you can install kde)
kuduntu comes with kde (but you can install gnome)

Edited by hawklord, 29 November 2009 - 06:58 AM.

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yeah, I've gotten familiar with changing my system settings, I have an icon on my desktop directly to it. When I first installed Kubuntu, I wanted to change everything as much to my liking as possible. I had Jaunty, and it seemed to work fine. But then I went to install the latest version. I didn't appreciate it. That's where my problems began.

And sorry for calling KDE4 a kernel. My head must of been running to bed and left my body in front of the computer. Can't understand how I made that mistake. Don't tell Linus!!!! Anyways, I read somewhere even he thought KDE4 wasn't worth it.

And I also knew I could could install GNOME, (I'm on Kubuntu, and Ubuntu forums almost everyday) but I want to try something different. Probably use GNOME on OpenSUSE. But I also like KDE4 for its looks, and what I saw of GNOME on different websites doesn't look great. But possibly what I saw wasn't modified much. That's why I want to test it! :)

I was looking at fedora, but decided against it. I have another computer sitting at my feet that a dude got rid of because he couldn't get it booted (so he went and bought hisself another one). I asked for it, and found out he plugged an audio cable into a modem connector. (I'm not much into hardware, but the connector says modem on the motherboard, and audio above the other cable). So I might put Fedora in that one, just to test it. And maybe pass it to my friends, so they can test it, all the while not fearing to mess it up. That way, they could stop using pirated Windows OS.

And by the way, what problems do you have with your system, Hawklord? I'm guessing your favorite is Mandriva? for what reasons?

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

........And by the way, what problems do you have with your system, Hawklord? I'm guessing your favorite is Mandriva? for what reasons?

problems ? errrmmm, well there's ... nope, erm - ah...nope ?? ... er-ah yes er no, ahhh my mandvd won't create a dvd with aac - so i use devede instead,
hhhmmmm - oh and a link in amsn won't open in firefox (known bug) - so i've set it to open with opera

thats it

and why mandriva - i was looking for a distro and there were to many to choose from, i spotted mandrake and thought "thats the one" - because of the name,
mandrake was no longer available so i download mandriva 2007 just after it came out, and never looked back, i'm now on mandriva 2010

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hmmm, amsn. I tried that at first cause one of my friends told me thats what he used. I hated it. It was a real problem for me. I think it was because I thought there wasn't enough resemblance with Windows Live. I switched to Kmess, and liked it so far. A plus with it, is that if I have a problem, suggestion, or there's something I don't like, there's little icons at the top of the page, so that I can send feedback. I've tried it a few times, and they've always replied back.

Have you ever modified programs, such as amsn, to see if you could try improving them? Like the "known" bug. If it's known, someone must have tried solving the problem?

I've looked at the Mandriva website. I find it well laid out. Very simple to understand. Unlike the OpenSUSE website, where it almost seems like a maze to get through. For who would you recommend Mandriva?

You said you chose Mandrake for the name. What does the name symbolize for you? I've googled a little, and the things I quickly found was either reffering to a plant, or to a song from Deep Purple. Sorry to say if it was the song that inspired you, but that is totally not my kind of music!!!

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
music is each to their own,

mandrake is a plant that was introduced over here in the 11 century and is connected to our folklore - which i enjoy reading about,
the name conjures up magic, so i chose mandrake (mandriva) - is there a better reason ?

i'm far from good at writing packages, fixes and work-arounds,
i did write an ip blocker for ktorrent once - it worked but whats the point, there are better ones out there

all known bugs are here http://wiki.mandriva...n/2010.0_Errata

the amsn one seems to be only on a few machines - its not a problem or annoyance, just -- there

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
well - cheers,

you gave me a thought and i had nothing else to do so i fixed the amsn issue,

there is a file in /usr/bin called amsn

with this line at the end

soundwrapper wish /usr/share/amsn/amsn

as root, i changed it to this

wish /usr/share/amsn/amsn

saved and links open with firefox now,

so thanks for the push

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
No problem. I'm glad to be able to say I helped at least one individual on this site! (even if I didn't do anything, :) ). I'm quite like that also. I like helping others, but when i comes down to my system, as long as it works and does the minimum, I'll leave it as it is. Why fix something that's not broken?

ektor

ektor

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
my problem is that i can't use flstudio over there and i dont like lmms or any other audio editor in ubuntu

Advertisements

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

my problem is that i can't use flstudio over there and i dont like lmms or any other audio editor in ubuntu

Did you try VMware? I tried to install it, but to no avail. can't browse c drive. I went to sun Virtual Box, and installed Vista, so that I can install whatever I want. I actually use it mostly to install viruses and then repair Vista thereafter :)

ektor

ektor

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
greno ill try it today

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
You say you use Ubuntu, do you like that distro? What are it's high points, what would you change? Have you tried any other ones, or do you want to change?

ektor

ektor

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I would change the compability problem that there is and no i haven't tried any other one i am waiting for my Kubuntu disc i requested and no i dont like

Jayman01

Jayman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I actually liked Kubuntu for it's looks, but I've recently won a software package that's for Windows use. Since it's a 993$ value, I'd be stupid to throw it away. So I'm gonna go back to Windows, probably Vista, but maybe, just maybe, Windows 7. I'm not strong on dual booting, so I'll probably drop Linux altogether on my main PC.