Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't have D drive

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hey folks;
I just installed a new windows on my computer and in the begining it would just start from the CD and wouldn't install it. So I ran the eban on it and then I was able to install the new windows xp.

Now the problem is I must have messed up somewhere because I no longer have a D: drive. It is all one big C:.

So can you tell me how I can fix it? If I have to re-install, that is ok, but I need to know how I messed up in the first place so I don't do it again.

Thank you

Edited by woodworks, 28 November 2009 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Hi woodworks,

I suspect you mean that you ran Dban (daricks boot and nuke).
Running that program writes 1's and 0's to the drive. It wipes it so there is nothing left.
When you installed the OS, you most likely chose to format and install on 1 partition.

Use Easeus Partition Master to re-partition the drive.
The program is free.

123runner

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Yes I guess so. I also noticed that it won't boot up without the cd.

What do you suggest I do?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok, I've tried to figure this out but so far no joy, as they say.

I went to the link you provided and I can't seem to find anywhere to d/l the program. I do see where you can purchase it, but I can't do that. In your post you said it was free.

What am I missing? I have been known to overlook things, so maybe this is what I am doing now.

Thanks again for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Left top of window you will see the link for the Free Home Edition

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Just a notice: you might want to back up your data.

It wouldn't be the first time you'd lose data when using programs like partition magic or easeus.

:)

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Just a notice: you might want to back up your data.

It wouldn't be the first time you'd lose data when using programs like partition magic or easeus.

:)

Don't have any data to back up. Which brings me to another problem.
The computer won't boot up without the CD and then sometimes it reinstalls windows all over again instead of booting up. Any advice on that one?

Thank you.
Found where to d/l the easeus.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok.

I got the partitions. More then I wanted, but at this point I just glad to get that taken care of.

Next problem...It will not boot up without the CD and when I put in the CD, it copies it all over again and starts with a fresh new copy of windows on the computer.

So how do I fix that? It doesn't boot up at all except for what I described above.

Also, I have the original windows CD that came with the computer but it won't even let me install that one. I would like to put that copy of windows back on it if possible.

Thank you for the help so far. At least something got fixed even if I can't use it.

Edited by woodworks, 30 November 2009 - 12:52 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Have you taken the CD out?
Have you gone back in to BIOS and set it to boot from the hard disk?

Have you followed the procedure found HERE?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Yes I've taken the CD out, that's how I know it won't boot up on it's own.

Going into bios, I have no clue how to do that. I will follow the link you provided and try to do what it says. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you

Update: This seems very indepth to me. First question...Do I need to 'back up' if I don't have anything on the computer? Since it was all wiped clean, I don't have anything on it. As far as outlook express, I don't have anything to do with that. I don't use it in any way that I'm aware of.

Second...I have the CD that came with the computer, but for some reason I can't get it to work. I have another copy of windows, but I already that that one on a different computer. So, do you have any suggestions on why the original CD won't work? The OS was on the computer when I bought it, but as I said I do have the CD.

Edited by woodworks, 30 November 2009 - 06:48 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the cd a Recovery disk or a full version installation disk?
IS this a name brand system?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
The computer came from ebay from a guy that builds them. So I would say no it isn't a name brand. I had to get in touch with him at one point after I purchased the computer and the phone number was that of a legit computer business.

The CD is a copy, but I recieved all copies of the motherboard drivers as will as office xp and so on. At the time of purchase, I was told everything was legit.

Hope this helps.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Update:

Well I couldn't figure it out, so I finally got a new copy of windows XP. While installing it, I somehow got the drives mixed up. My C drive is now my G drive. So I got the bright idea to rename them since it gave me that option. Now my G drive is both C & G and my D is now both D & E. That conflicks with my CD Rom that is also E.

So before I go and screw it up any more, Can this be fixed without starting all over? Originally I had C: & D: which was just fine with my. I did as you said above and ended with three drives that I didn't want, but I couldn't figure out how to fixe it.
So, I'm with a fresh copy of windows, but I still have problems with the motherboard also. I still don't have any sound and I have problems with some kind of pic bridge or something like that.

So if you can help with any or all of these, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for all the help so far. At least I can start windows now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Lets see what computer management shows on this one.
I am surprised it allowed the drives to have 2 letters.