Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell inspiron 9400 wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

dynocompe

dynocompe

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok so the mother board has been replaced, same with cpu chip. Tried new dc power cord with and without battery.
The green light comes on when you hit the power button, then the light shuts off in a couple seconds. I cant hear no sounds , no nothing.

Any advice? The mainboard has already been switched out, so that big expensive item is not the problem i am hoping! since its new and didnt seem to be the problem.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Same exact motherboard that was in it before?
Did you test the motherboard outside of the case to make sure it posted?

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
it is the same exact motherboard, i never tested it, previous owner had this installed. It was just given to me.
How do u test it outside of the case?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take the motherboard out of the system and place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

This will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor. Turn on the system.
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok thanks rshaffer! You are the man. I will do this later tonight.

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok i quickly just tested the old motherboard that was in there previously and when i power it on, it just makes aclicking sound, then when light shuts off, it clicks again, does that mean motherboard dead?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell where clicking is coming from?

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
the speakers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm not saying much except that maybe the board may have a short on it.

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
also I should note the video card is seperate from the motherboard, do I have to install the video card when I test the mother baord outside of the case>? Or does that not matteR?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Better to test the onboard as that way you are testing nothing but the motherboard. If it posts with that then try it with the video card. If it doesn't work then you may have a video card problem.

batteriesinc

batteriesinc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have never happened such a problem.so I can't give you a suggestion. :) your Dell Inspiron 9400 won't turn on You can go to the computer repair shop to ask