Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mshta.exe file not found during reinstallation of XP

• Please log in to reply

highland403

highland403

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
When I tried to turn on the computer this morning, I got an error message that said <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupt. After some research it appears that this file can become corrupt if the electricity goes off when Windows is updating. I don't know for a fact if that's what happened, but the short story is that I reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition using the repair installation, not the clean install, and that solved the corrupt hal.dll problem.

Near the very end of the install process, I got an error message that said mshta.exe could not be found. I clicked OK and the installation process finished. The computer boots up now and everything works but I can't start Internet Explorer. I also have Opera on the computer and it seems to be working fine.

Is mshta.exe needed to run IE and if so, can I download it from the internet? I searched my XP installation CD including hidden files and mshta.exe isn't on the CD. So, I'm assuming mshta.exe wasn't installed at the factory. If that's true, it's puzzling why IE explorer worked before the reinstall (without mshta.exe) and now it seems to need it. :)

Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Microsoft HTML Application Host. MSHTA is the process that runs .HTA files (HTML Applications = programs written in HTML) under Windows. Typically MSHTA loads as soon as a .HTA application needs to run, and then terminates when the application completes.

You may not see it on installation CD, if you search for mshta.exe. Those files are compressed and you should be looking for mshta.ex_ file.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I just checked my CD. It's located in \I386 folder.

File attached.

Attached Files

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
Thanks! Do I open it in the System32 folder?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yes.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I started to unzip the file in System32 and received the message that it already contains mshta.exe. I don't get it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It can be corrupted.
Restart in Safe Mode, rename your file to mshta.old and paste my file in.
Restart.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I tried renaming it in Safe Mode but it won't let me delete or add to the name. Is there any harm in renaming it to mshta.old in normal mode?

I noticed that there is another similar file called mshta.exe.mui. I assume that file is OK to leave alone?

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
I tried renaming it in Safe Mode but it won't let me delete or add to the name. Is there any harm in renaming it to mshta.old in normal mode?

I noticed that there is another similar file called mshta.exe.mui. I assume that file is OK to leave alone?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Leave the other file alone.
You can't rename system file in normal mode.

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD (rarely in Vista case).
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.

Advertisements

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
This computer has XP OS, not Vista. Do I need a Vista CD?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, simply omit Vista notes while reading my previous reply.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
OK. Its been running about 10 minutes is about a third of the way thru scanning.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK.

highland403

highland403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
It just finished running and gave no messages.