Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TIME KEEPS CHANGING ON COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi folks,I know this is no biggie but I was wondering if you might be able to help me with the time on my computer.I don't know why but it keeps losing time.Right now it is 3 1/2 hrs. behind.I don't know if this is important or not but I run 2 hard drives both with xp pro on them.One is for regular computing and the other drive runs my recording studio,I just select which drive to use at boot up.Also would I be doing any damage if I was to just set the time again,I did this once and it seemed to stay awhile but now it's back at it again.Appreciate any advice you could give me,Thanks,Cheers.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to change the cmos battery on the motherboard.
You will have to open the system up and locate the battery. It is about the size of a quarter and most likely type cr2032 I believe. Below is a picture of what you will be looking for. Once replaced you will have to go into the bios and change the date and time to correct it. This issue is caused by the battery getting low.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi rshaffer61,how are you doing?don't know if you remember but you helped me with an infected laptop about 3 weeks ago.Appreciate that,anyway that sounds fairly simple then,something like replacing a watch battery I guess eh?I will have to wait till monday now to pick up a battery.Relieved to hear it's nothing more serious,I will e- mail you back in a couple days and let you know how it went.Thanks buddy,talk to ya soon,Cheers...Glen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I remember helping you with your system. Is this the same system?
Yes it is just like replacing a watch battery.
Make sure to not break the clamp that holds the battery in.
I will wait for your response. The battery shouldn't be but about 5 dollars.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi rshaffer61,finally got a battery today,everything went smooth and seems to be fine.Thanks again for your help buddy,appreciate it.Take care and have yourself a great Holiday season,Glen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible