Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help upgrading my computor

• Please log in to reply

modracer22

modracer22

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm looking at upgrading my computor since it's about 6 years old. I not very computor savy but was able to install a newer video card (AGP) and some more ram. I'm thinking I need about everything. I did upgrade to a 500 watt p/s but thinking it's not enough. I do game a lot even at the old age of 42 I still enjoy it. My question is I've been on neww-egg and tiger direct but don't have a clue what I'm looking for. I'm looking at spending about $600 for upgrades and going to keep my old hard drive it's 250 gig and windows xp which I like. My current card is Nvidia GeForce 7800gs and I have a Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz processor. I don't know what are the better brands to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A six year old computer isn't worth upgrading at all.
You'll do better to replace the entire lot.

modracer22

modracer22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know but don't want to switch from windows xp and don't want to loose all my saved files. I looked at trying to find a cpu minus OS and hard drive but unable to locate one. Again thanks for any help.

Edited by modracer22, 29 November 2009 - 12:33 PM.

msujedi

msujedi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

I was able to install a newer video card (AGP) and some more ram. (How much ram do you have? What speed?)
My current card is Nvidia GeForce 7800gs (the newer one? so, not replacing?)
I did upgrade to a 500 watt p/s but thinking it's not enough. (what are you experiencing? Have you added up the wattage demands of your components? If you don't have too many power-hogs, you may be ok with this.)

I still enjoy my old hard drive it's 250 gig and windows xp. (do you store a lot on your HDD? How much space is still free?)
I have a Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz processor. (what socket type?)

(I've asked questions within your modified quote above)

I built my PC 4yrs ago & just ordered parts to upgrade. One thing I ran into was that the socket on my MB doesn't support the newer/better CPUs. You may be in luck. I believe Intel continues to use some of the same sockets with newer CPUs.
If your socket is too old, you may be in my boat. I needed a new MB to support a new CPU, and new RAM to fit the pins on the new MB...and, I needed a new video card with PCI connection. I probably could've shopped for a MB with new CPU socket type & older RAM and video card slots. But, I want this upgrade to last at least 3 more years...so I bit the bullet. For now my 200Gb HDD is fine (I also have an external HDD). I may need to upgrade that or add another in a year though.
I can't help much with the video card. I video edit & use my PC as a dvr. I don't game on my PC.

Edited by msujedi, 03 December 2009 - 11:47 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
If you want to spend $600 on upgrade, I would rather recommend that you buy a new comp for $600 it would be much better option and you would have much faster comp.