Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I make HD single partition and format it?

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
OK!

I ran EASEUS and shrank the W7 partition to zero, deleting the contents and when I got in from the gardening it all seemed to have worked fine. I now have the two "original" partitions on my internal drive, the sizes add up to the total of what I had before (a little more, actually) although running EASEUS again shows a few MB outside either logical partition.

Now that I'm happy with the program I am going to do a defrag on logical C and leave the two partitions be! I will probably do my annual W XP reinstall after Christmas from the recovery DVD then, if that all works OK will use EASEUS again to delete the logical D and revert to one logical drive.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

There *is* one thing!

As you saw, I am now back with my original two logical partitions - or to all intents and purposes, one (the C drive).

The W seven partition is no longer. (That was the dual boot partition).

However, if I reboot I still get a choice of W7 or "previous version of Windows"! If I don't select "previous version" within a few secs I get error messages saying it can't find the files etc etc.

Any idea how to make it just boot to XP, as originally purchased? There must be something in the BIOS I reckon.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
We need to look at the boot.ini file

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

Now you can repeat the steps to get back to step Number 4
I will reply with the Fix to do. Once the fix has been applied then Save and Close the file.
Reboot and let me know if this takes care of your problem

123runner

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I followed through all that, but there's no mention of any change in the text! So no editing?

Anyway, the original file was :

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /FASTDETECT

/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /CMDCONS