Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java (TM) 6 - Update 7 and 17?

• Please log in to reply

Giacinto

Giacinto

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer every once in a while freezes for about a minute then unfreezes and then back and forth again. So I started cleaning up and updating all my programs using Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. While updating each one I noticed that I had two Javas. 1st listed was Java ™ 6-Update 17 at 91.04 MB and the 2nd listed was Java ™ 6-Update 7 at over 100 MB+. From all the research I did, I decided to remove Update 7 and leave 17 on. Was this correct and if so, why were both on there?
I am new to this and would appreciate any assistance. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
There is something about java that just installs new versus updating whats there.
It was ok for 7 to be uninstalled.

We use the following

Please download JavaRa from below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
* Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
* Accept any prompts.
* Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
* Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button. Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

JavaRa Download

Giacinto

Giacinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you 123 Runner for the info and the JavaRA, I feel better that the right thing was done. Now I can continue and figure out why my computer freezes here and there! Thanks once again!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Let us know if you need any help

Giacinto

Giacinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
123Runner: It looks like I need your assistance again. I recently uninstalled my printer Lexmark-85X and noticed that there are still many items on my C-drive under the topic Lexmark (drivers, exec, etc). Is it safe to just delete the two folders or is there a cleanup software for this. Lexmark has been no help at all when it comes to removing their product!

Thanks if you can advise! :)