Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Vista and installing Linux

• Please log in to reply

crazypaean999

crazypaean999

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My computer is rather slow, and I was thinking of switching my laptop to a Linux OS. I've been checking out Ubuntu, and chances are I'll go with that. My main concerns are

1. Not being able to maneuver with a new OS.
2. Getting back Windows if something goes wrong.
3. Drivers and the suck for my built in features, such as speakers.

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 206US :

2.00 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 Dual-Core Processor
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1
2GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M Memory Up to 895MB
160 GB Hard drive 5400 RPM
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
802.11b/g WLAN

What should I do to make sure that I don't mess this up?

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
1 - its a new operating system with new applications to learn, but once you get going it gets easier,

2 - an option would be dual booting or using ubuntu through a virtual machine, you can also install ubuntu via windows,

3 - most hardware is catered for so no need to hunt around for drivers,

ubuntu comes as a live cd so you can try before you commit, just download the .iso, burn to cd and then boot from the cd,

if there are any problems you will know before you install

crazypaean999

crazypaean999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wouldn't running it over Vista be a bad choice? Since Vista takes much more to run than Ubuntu?

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
thats a good point,

maybe shrink your vista and install ubuntu to dual boot,

or locate another hdd in place of the vista one and install ubuntu on that, this way you should still have a working vista if all goes wrong

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
many ways to skin a cat here, for example "virtual box" program means you can run it as a virtual machine, but I myself like using a screwdriver, do you have a spare harddrive, even an old one that is, just swap harddrives, install linux to the old hard drive in your computer now and see if it for you, after a week or so you can decide to go back to vista if you wish, or install linux over the original harddrive, either way your original harddrive is untouched until you decide your happy with linux

with linux it is best to start with a distribution of linux that has all the "non free" stuff bundled in, because if you go for a pure linux like ubuntu, you then have to do an "after install" to allow codexes,MP3s and the like to work, simply I suggest starting with something like Mint linux if you are new to linux that is, it is based on ubuntu

second problem, and I can only talk from experience here, some windows games wont play if the harddrive has two operating systems on it, also I am told that vista doesn't like dual boot in some cases

certainly the speed, stability and malwareproofness of linux is well known, if anything your computer sounds overkill for linux that runs sweet on 512ram

think it is mentioned before but when you do the "live CD" test, which is booting up onto the "live CD", it will be slower than running the system from the harddrive, yes, but you will see if all your drivers are recognised meaning that there isn't that missing driver problem one has in windows, simply because running the system from the CD tell you exactly how you stand beforehand

Edited by fleamailman, 29 November 2009 - 05:36 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

.......also I am told that vista doesn't like dual boot in some cases........

this is true - but only if you have bitlocker encryption enabled,

bitlocker is only available in enterprise and ultimate versions of vista and win 7,

so if you do have bitlocker enabled with one of the above windows - then switch it off, otherwise there is no problem dual booting with grub

more info about bitlocker here

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Dual boot with vista works like a peach for me.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
crazypaean999

I am going to step in here and tell you that with the specs you listed for your computer you should have no problem running Vista.
I suspect that Vista came installed on the unit.

I also suspect that you have other issues with the computer and that is why it is running slow. This can be anything from malware to many startup programs, etc.

In the end, it is your decision as to how you want to proceed.

123runner

trucker

trucker

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I have to agree with the last post your PC should run just fine. here another way to go Mint and ubuntu are both just fine, but in the world of Linux there are 1,000 of thing to try. I am a fan of linux Puppy. It loads to your ram and can be saved in a number of ways. I have 1 on a 2G pen this allows me to plug into any host machine and boot my personal PC once I'm done I remove the pen drive and the host machine is left untouched.
But 1st I would look into why your PC is running slow. By the way Puppy is lighting fast. I use the older versions like 2.14 on a P1 I have, surfs the net well and you would never guess its that old.

Edited by trucker, 05 December 2009 - 05:22 AM.

Xalor

Xalor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would also recommend dual-booting one of the major Linux distros, probably Ubuntu or Fedora, but I would start with Ubuntu since it has a quick support team on the forums, and they break down steps for beginners.

Although your specs are pretty good, and you might just have a lot of software and too little HDD space left, assuming now malware/trojan/spyware is running the background. I recommend using Spybot Search and Destroy, basically it scans for common bots that might have infected your computer

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

1. Not being able to maneuver with a new OS.
2. Getting back Windows if something goes wrong.
3. Drivers and the suck for my built in features, such as speakers.

Boot your laptop from the Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit CD or DVD. This way you can play around with Linux without installing anything on your existing hard drive. If and when you are comfortable, you can install it if you wish. I strongly suggest creating 20-40GB of unpartitioned space on the hard drive while in Windows. This way the Ubuntu installer will give you the option to use it and install Grub, which is the default Linux bootloader.

As 123Runner said elsewhere in this thread, your laptop should have no problem running Vista, provided it isn't riddled with unnecessary running applications or malware.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You could also just install the ubuntu though the wubi installer. It installs and uninstalls like any other application and it boots though the Vista boot menu. (Have not verified the later).

http://www.ubuntu.co...u/download-wubi

superdave777

superdave777

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ubuntu is a great OS. I run Ubuntu 9.10 or XP Pro on startup .. Cheak this out.....

Edited by superdave777, 11 February 2010 - 07:51 PM.