Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 beeps after changing RAM

• Please log in to reply

computator

computator

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried swapping my 256MB stick for a 1GB stick but when I turn on the computer I get 3 beeps and no video . I tried several times and I tried the new RAM stick in both slots, but I get the same result. When I put the old stick back in everything works fine.

Motherboard is an Intel D845GRG. 1GB RAM stick is a GB Micro DDR PC3200, 400MHz. www.crucial.com says even though PC2100 is listed, PC3200 should work.

Any suggestions?

Thx!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
http://www.intel.com...b/cs-010374.htm

Confusing information on that site. It says it supports 2Gb with 2 slots, which suggests it will support 1Gb sticks. But then the chart only indicates 512Mb sticks maximum.

While it is true, PC3200 should work in slower systems, there may be other compatibility issues. How did you determine that module should work? Did you use the memory configurator at GB Micro?

computator

computator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
crucial.com listed a 1GB PC2700 (333) and a 1GB PC3200 (400) as compatible. http://www.pcmemorys...D845GRG-ram.htm says PC2100 only.

computator

computator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So based on the Intel.com information, is the maximum speed 266MHz? In that case is this stick more likely to work? http://gbmicro.com/p.....DR266 NON-ECC

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Typically, you can put faster RAM in and it will toggle down. The 266 may be better, but I am only guessing at this point - still a bit confused by the information on Intel's own page. Do you have the latest BIOS version installed?

computator

computator

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure whether I have the latest Bios version. I'll try a 266MHz stick tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

Thanks for your help so far!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, not sure I've helped but do keep us posted.

As for your BIOS, you might be able to use Belarc Advisor to determine what you have but you may need to inspect the motherboard too as I see there are 4 versions listed at Intel.