Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting blue screen of death on Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, first of all, I'm not all that great with dealing with this stuff so laymen's terms would be appreciated.

I got that virus that would change your background to "Your System is Infected!" after downloading windows live messenger. I could only use few programs because I could go and click on MS Paint or something and it would say that it couldn't do it because the file was infected or something. I just started running Spybot Search&Destroy scans and it kept finding stuff like Virtumonde and a bunch of other things. Hit fix selected problems and just kept repeating it. Everything kinda' started working again until the power went out in the middle of a scan. Now when I turn on my computer and try to log in all I will see is my desktop and then it will log out.
Yes, I see another topic like this but I can't boot into Safe Mode. Every time I go into Safe Mode I get the blue screen of death.

So how am I supposed to fix my computer if I can't even log in properly? I have a Windows XP and I don't know where the original disc is or any of that stuff. I rather not lose all my files as well, I have some important stuff on there.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello Carbunkel and welcome to Geeks to Go!

This is a malware problem, I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

-Sometimes Needs Help

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
None of that will work if I can't log into my computer. :I

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Carbunkel.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue.
Can I ask do you have a way to boorow a Genuine Microsoft XP installation disk of the same type you have installed? Home or Pro
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Is it a brand name system and if so what make and model?

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello Carbunkel.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue.
Can I ask do you have a way to boorow a Genuine Microsoft XP installation disk of the same type you have installed? Home or Pro
Is this a laptop or a desktop?
Is it a brand name system and if so what make and model?

Thank you. I don't know if I can borrow one anytime soon. I'm pretty sure I have Proffesional and I am using a desktop computer. I have HP but I'm not sure about the model. I did get the computer in 2004. Sorry if I am not being helpfull ^^;

Edit: Actually, it says I have "Media Center Edition" if that means antying.

Edited by Carbunkel, 29 November 2009 - 07:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that would mean you need a Media Center Edition of XP.
If you get the Genuine disk we can do a parallel installation which would keep your data intact and hopefully be able to get you back in to windows where you can then go to the malware forum and run the suggested steps. Without the original disk it is going to be almost impossible to get you fixt up.
It is possible the usernit file has been corrupted with the infection. If there was another system handy with XP on it we may be able to try and replace your usernit file.

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yes that would mean you need a Media Center Edition of XP.
If you get the Genuine disk we can do a parallel installation which would keep your data intact and hopefully be able to get you back in to windows where you can then go to the malware forum and run the suggested steps. Without the original disk it is going to be almost impossible to get you fixt up.
It is possible the usernit file has been corrupted with the infection. If there was another system handy with XP on it we may be able to try and replace your usernit file.

Well, I have another Windows XP computer in my house, can I somehow use this one to fix the other?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should be able to. Let's try this and see if we can get you running again.

I can't guarantee it will work...and it requires the machine you make the disk on AND the machine you are fixing are both running XP.

Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
* Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Thanks to wannabe1

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The link for MagicISO doesn't work, can I download it from here?

http://www.magiciso....sc-overview.htm

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes just get the first one and you should be ok.

Advertisements

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, so I followed all the steps up until the cd burning part. I went to tools and selected burn with iso but it's telling me that I put no cd in! I put a CD-R into the only spot that CD's can go on the computer. Do you know why it's saying that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drop that and get Burncdcc from my signature below. This is a small no frills iso burning program.
NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay did all that but when I pressed R to go into that mode it didn't do anything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

At this screen does it say anything about clicking R to enter the Recovery Console?

Carbunkel

Carbunkel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

At this screen does it say anything about clicking R to enter the Recovery Console?

Um no, at least I don't think so.
As soon as the computer starts up I just clicked R as many as times possible and it didn't do anything all the way to the log in screen.

Also, I don't even think I get a screen that says welcome to setup. Just this black screen that says a buncha words and then moves onto the windows symbol and then to log in.

I have under boot to use the CDROM first but know when I log in all I get is my desktop image and nothing else, not startbar or icons. After a while it just logs me out and goes into stand by.

Edited by Carbunkel, 30 November 2009 - 02:56 AM.