Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS cannot find my hard drive

• Please log in to reply

bluewavesix

bluewavesix

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My PC shut off for some strange reason, I have no idea if it may be infected, although I did scan it with 3 different, and recent virus protection programs. Now when I boot it, I get the "Please reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media" message. I have never removed or altered anything on my computer. When I go to BIOS, I can't even set my C: drive as the 1st priority drive. I'm somewhat computer savvy, but I can't seem to fix this problem. Also I did not get a restore disk with my computer. Please help me out if you can.

BTW I was wondering if I could install XP on an external drive and see if it runs like that... but I'm not sure I'd want to do that, plus I don't have the install disks so...

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
can you boot into safe mode? Do you have a bootable cd like windows install or Norton System Works (or other av bootable recover disk)?

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
had the same problem. open computer push on the connections to hard drive and motherboard. sometimes bad connection. if not change cable and see what happens. good luck

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
sounds like your boot sector is corrupted...get a hold of an XP install disk. can you change the bios so that the comp boots from the cd-rom first?

julia1

julia1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes i can boot from cd