Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sent here by Rorschach112 from Malware Forum - Can't boot Vista

• Please log in to reply

sdefrawi

sdefrawi

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey guys, Rorschach112 sent me over here for help.

His instructions were:

"Go over to the Windows Vista forum, tell them I sent you and that I suspect a windows file got borked by malware"

We were working on a malware recovery and the last step did something to where I can't boot the system at all. Tried all modes - safe, last known, safe w/ command, normal, etc. I've copied the last step I completed before the situation arose. Thanks for your help.

------------------------

Please download OTM

Save it to your desktop.
Please double-click OTM to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
Copy the lines in the codebox below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

CODE
:Processes

:Services

:Reg

:Files
C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll|C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-imm32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_5c561e167a6afd02\imm32.dll /replace
C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll|C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-kernel32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_93bde541564b88ae\kernel32.dll /replace
C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll|C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-w..nfrastructure-ws232_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_f2b7b0c2ce5605c4\ws2_32.dll /replace

:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[Reboot]

Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.

Click the red Moveit! button.
Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
Close OTM and reboot your PC.

Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

----------------------

Edited by sdefrawi, 29 November 2009 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, I'd like to know a few things:

1.) What do you mean by "Not being able to boot"? Does this mean a BSoD?
2.) What version of Windows Vista do you have?
3.) Do you currently own a Windows Vista disc for your computer?

-Sometimes Needs Help

sdefrawi

sdefrawi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
1) Not a blue screen, I am taken to a screen that says 'Windows encountered an error and was unable to start' (or something to that effect) please choose from the following options - safe mode, safe w/ net, safe w/command, last known good config, and normal startup. No matter which I choose (tried all of them) it hangs for a few seconds and returns to the same screen.

2) Vista Home Premium, Vaio laptop

3) I do not have a Vista disc. I have a recovery DVD that I made that is not bootable.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Recovery DVD has to be bootable, but we can't use it to fix booting problems anyway.

If you have Vista DVD...

http://www.vistax64....tall-vista.html

If you don't have Vista DVD...

1. Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Try Startup Repair.

sdefrawi

sdefrawi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Tried startup repair from the vista recovery disc image i burned, it said a few things were repaired, I rebooted, same problem. I'm running it again now.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Meanwhile, you may want to call around, if someone you know, has real Vista DVD, so we could go for repair install.

sdefrawi

sdefrawi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright I'm back in. Thanks guys. Heading back over to the 'malware department!'

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you fix it?

sdefrawi

sdefrawi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
i believe so - i was able to log in again