Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexplained CPU load

• Please log in to reply

Derek_Z10

Derek_Z10

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't know what's going on here. But starting today my cpu all of the sudden remains at full load and I cannot fix it or figure out what is using it. Taskmanager doesn't show any programs loading it. But as you can see my temps are high so it really is at just about full load. It should take quite a bit to load this cpu on all cores. Pretty much every app I have on here can only load 2 cores at once. Below the screenshot is a hijack log.

EDIT: I also just noticed that I am uploading a lot of data for no reason. Check the bandwidth monitor on the sidebar.

Posted Image

Edited by Rorschach112, 29 November 2009 - 04:46 PM.
removed clean log

Advertisements

Derek_Z10

Derek_Z10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was able to find the culprit through the resource monitor. The process is MediaMalllServer.exe. It is software I have been using for over a year. It allows me to stream videos from my computer and Hulu and other stuff to my xbox by converting the video formats into xbox compatible formats in real time. However I do not know why it is using so much resource when the xbox isn't even on.

severedsolo

severedsolo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
from the look of your screenshot you're using 7 correct? this is just a guess, so dont shoot me if im wrong, my guess would be the process starts independently whether the XBOX is connected or not, so you basically have 2 options, either download autoruns from here: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx and stop it from autorunning when you start your pc, and only run it when you need it, your other option is just kill the process when you switch your pc on, if you cant find it in autoruns, (unfortunately 7 doesnt have a nice way to kill autorunning programs like vista did and autoruns can be a little complicated as it shows every single registry key that kicks in too, there is alot of data to sift through)

Derek_Z10

Derek_Z10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ya it is windows 7. I can start and disable the service through the program itself and tell it to start with the computer or not.

severedsolo

severedsolo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
well theres your solution then, stop it autorunning, or have you already done this and the problem hasnt gone away?

Derek_Z10

Derek_Z10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I restarted the service and the problem was fixed. It has not yet acted up again. What was weird was that I rebooted the computer 2 times and the problem continued immediately after the computer was fully up. But when I restarted the service through the main program it fixed it. I need to have it autorun because no one else in the house will know how to start it when they want to watch movies through the xbox.

Edited by Derek_Z10, 01 December 2009 - 04:53 PM.