Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP & Wireless Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

Kallis

Kallis

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

Having quite the issue with something that should be simple... :)

Have a Linksys WRT320N router to which a Brother MFC-7840W wireless printer is connected.

My Vista computer was able to recognize the wireless printer.

I then went to attach my XP computer to the printer, but it is unable to find the printer via browsing. I also tried inputing the server address...no go either.

Using Windows Explorer, the XP only displays the vista computer and the xp computer under the network neighborhood.

The xp computer says to contact my administrator...that would be me.

The Vista is cat5'd to the router, the xp is a wireless connect as is the brother printer.

When I pull up the Linksys Advisor Software, it displays the printer, the xp computer, and the vista computer, all with pretty green lines saying all is well.

If anyone can advise me, that would be assume.

Thx!

Attached Thumbnails

• XP_Windows_Explorer_View_Simulated.jpg
  • Vista_Windows_Explorer_view.jpg
  • Brother_Easylink_Advisor.jpg

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
There may be an easier way to do this, but here is the first thing that popped into my head. Assign the Brother a static IP address. You can normally do this through the display on the printer. Make sure you choose something outside of your DHCP address range. For example, if your router is handing out addresses from 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200, then pick something like 192.168.0.99.

Then go to the XP computer and go to Start, Printers & Faxes. On the left side of the page, choose "Add a printer". Start going through the wizard and choose "Local printer attached to this computer", not "Network printer". I know it sounds weird, but it's the way you need to set it up. On the next page, it will ask you to choose a port. At the bottom, choose "Create new Port" and pick TCP/IP. On the next page, it will ask you for the address. Input the address you picked above in the top box, which in this example is 192.168.0.99. The bottom box will be filled in for you automatically. Then just follow the rest of the wizard to complete the setup.

Let me know how it works out.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 30 November 2009 - 01:11 PM.

Kallis

Kallis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You rock. Worked perfectly!

Thanks so much and hope you have a great holiday.

Paul

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Glad I could help. I hope you and your family have a nice holiday as well.