Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

2kays

2kays

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I cannot burn CD/R and CD/RW discs in my Vista Home Premium DVD/CD-Rom drive. (ASUS DRW-1608P3S ATA Device).
It is possible to play a "Virgin Classics" DVD, Audio CDs and CR/Rs I have burned on my XP computer, but will not read a finalized CD/RW I have burned.
When a CD is entered no dialogue opens which allows me to drag files into an empty disc folder.
In view of this I have tried my burning programme and insert a CD/R or CD/RW disc into the drive.
I then open my burning programme and after dragging files down into the files ready for burning pane, I click the "Burn" button and eventually get a "Disc Required" dialogue.
When I open "Computer" and right click the drive the "Properties" command is missing which suggests to me that the disc isn't recognised.
The driver has been checked and found to be the best available and the "Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Service" has been tried with no success.
Can anyone suggest something else I can try?
Ken

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See, if CDBurnerXP will work: http://cdburnerxp.se/

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you for your suggestion Broni.
I have tried my own burner "Power2Go" and also the free "CDburnerXP" and get the same result.
Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suspect, burning laser may be out. How old is the drive?

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you for your help Broni.
My Vista computer is 2˝ years old and I have never been able to burn a disc with it.
This hasn’t worried me because I have been able to use my XP computer, and now I very rarely use CDs.
I find it much better and cheaper to use my flash drive and portable hard drive.
I thought I would see if I could cure the problem but have come to the conclusion that if I ever wanted to use it the answer may be to buy a new drive.
Thanking you once again for your help,
Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I assume, your drive is a writer.
You said "DVD/CD-Rom", which can't write, but I also checked ASUS DRW-1608P3S model and it indeed says it's RW.

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes it is a writer Broni; I called it a DVD/CD-Rom drive because that's how it is described in Device Manager.
I tried to burn to a CD/R disc and the "Auto Play" dialogue opened. This doesn't happen when I use a CD/RW but may be because the drive maintains the disc isn't writable as described below.
I chose "Burn files to disc using Windows" and a "Format the disc" dialogue opened showing the progress of "Preparing to format the disc."
This took a little over seven minutes and resulted in a message informing me that "Windows was unable to complete the format."
On opening Computer to eject the disc the drive icon was missing and the disc could not be removed so I closed and restarted the computer and things were back to normal.
I cannot understand why the disc has to be formatted; there is no formatting when using XP.
When using a CD/RW there's no "Auto Play" dialogue so I use my burning programme and finally get a "Disc required" message informing me the disc isn't writable (No disc).
In Computer the Properties show the disc to be full yet XP shows it to be empty and in fact I burnt files to it.
Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I suggest, you leave Roxio alone, for now. I really dislike this program.
Let's focus on CDBurnerXP.

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

KevinMartin

KevinMartin

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It is basically problem of head of your cd/dvd drive.So try to repair it or purchase new one.

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you for your reply Broni.
My burning programme is CyberLink Power2Go not Roxio.
As your first reply suggested I try burning with "CDburnerXP" I have been doing so ever since.
I carried out all three tasks you sent me.
Uninstalling the drive as suggested in option one did not solve the problem.
The second option I had already done without success - see my original message, but I gave it another try and was informed "we did not detect any issues common to this problem and therefore, no fixes were applied."
There were six ATA channels in the third option which I uninstalled but once again the problem remains.
Ken

Thank you KevenMartin for your reply.
I will see if the Forum members can help me to do a repair, failing which I will forget about it because I think the USB drives are that much better than CDs
Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nobody repairs optical drives anymore.
They're too cheap.
You can get a new one for about 30 bucks and this is what I suggest.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
They are easy and cheap to replace. I recommend purchasing one from Newegg. Be sure to check to make sure which interface you have prior to purchase : IDE or SATA.

IDE
Posted Image
SATA

Edited by mgabriel, 01 December 2009 - 07:36 PM.

2kays

2kays

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thank you Broni, KevenMartin and mgabreil for you help; especially you Broni.
As I intent buying a new computer with Windows 7 early next year I will continue to use my USB drives.
Ken

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)