Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't move files between hard drives or move icons

• Please log in to reply

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK edit here, I got my system tray and start menu back up. However, still no ability to move files between drives. Read on...

A few weeks ago I was infected with the b.exe virus, which messed up my browsers and wouldn't let me run antivirus programs. I posted this thread http://www.geekstogo...22#entry1697222 to get answers but unfortunately I now have bigger problems. I have two internal hard drives but I can't transfer files between them or even save to the second one. I can still see and open files on the second one but can't transfer between the two. (Dragging and dropping doesn't work, saving to it doesn't work, and it doesn't show up as an option for "Send To.") I can't even move the icons around on my desktop. All of these problems arose after I ran the OTM program as suggested in the other thread. I'm trying to move all my important files to the second drive so I can just reformat the main drive and start anew but I'm stuck here. Side problem? I have no internet and when I check the Network Connections control panel it's blank. I'm therefore posting to the forums from another computer. Any idea how I can restore functionality and move files?

Edited by Redhawk99, 30 November 2009 - 06:41 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HiRedhawk99
Instead of wasting time doing that how about we use a Linux Live cd to move the files and then you can proceed with the format?

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm open to suggestions rshaffer, but first I'll need you to explain what the heck a Linux Live CD is....

The ultimate goal here is to get the files somewhere safe so I can throw in the towel and reformat, sounds like you've got an idea. Do tell.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You betcha...strap in and hold on cause here we go...... :)

Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did a little googling and read up on linux live cd's, sounds like you're definitely on to something. I burned one here at work and I'll give it a shot when I get home in an hour. A couple questions first: how do I make sure the CD drive is the first device to boot? And second, assuming I restore some functionality and can move files, is it safe to move the files I want to save to my other hard drive that's installed internally? I don't have an external drive but my second internal drive is just files (no programs) so I'd think that's still "clean" and unaffected by whatever virus caused this mess. My long-term plan is to move what I need off my C drive on to that second drive then reformat the C drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To set boot sequence.
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Yes this will allow you to move the files safely.You will have to do some extra steps to get the linux to see the other hd but once that is done you will be able to move the data you need to the other hd with no problem.

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Made the linux cd, changed the boot order so the CD is first, restarted several times with the CD in either of the CD drives... still getting Windows XP coming up. Methinks I didn't burn the CD properly? As though my computer doesn't like the file on there and is skipping right over it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did you burn the cd?
If you burned it as a data cd it won't work. You have to burn it as a ISO cd or Image. Did you use the Burncdcc program?

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Burning a new CD as we speak rshaffer. I didn't understand that ISO's were different than regular files when I burned the first CD, my mistake. I'm using your recommended Burn CDCC program this time around.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not to worry as learning is the other service we provide. :) :)
Hopefully we can teach you a few things and you will be able to fix a problem next time without having to depend on someone as much. Though we don't mind assisting if you just need a confirming nudge. :)

Advertisements

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Linux is up and running! I had no idea this was even possible, to boot Linux from a CD and get into a computer that way... I've never used Linux before so I need to tinker around with this a bit and figure things out. I'll see if I can start transferring files between drives. Thanks very much for getting me this far!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. I run linux all the time now even though I still have Windows.
I find it easier to use and it only needs 894 megs of memory to run.
Give it a 60 gig drive and it is in heaven.
At the bottom of the screen you should see what looks like hard drives. Right click on the one probably marked hdb1. Then click Mount and this should make your 2nd hard drive accessible to move data from main drive to the 2nd drive

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm typing this from the messed up computer, now with internet! This is great, thanks again rshaffer. I was able to transfer the files I needed over to my other hard drive. I haven't entirely given up on the C drive yet but at least I've got everything backed up if I do need to reformat.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How do you like the linux OS?

Redhawk99

Redhawk99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Tricky to navigate. 10 years ago I switched from Mac to Windows, kinda the same process, just gotta learn how the OS thinks.