Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Guest Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
A friend of mine owns a dentist's office and asked me about guest wireless. I guess he wants to offer free WiFi to his clients while they are in the waiting room. Currently, his business doesn't use wireless, only wired. He told me he has a Linksys wireless router at his house he isn't using and wanted to see if that would work. He didn't give me the model number, so I can't pull up the manual.

I wanted to help him out by doing the installation, but I'm concerned about the security of the wireless network. I wanted to install it in such a way that the wireless clients don't have access to the LAN computers. I've read a couple things, but I'm unsure of which way to go.

One person said to connect the uplink port on Linksys wireless router to a LAN port on the switch. Then told me to enable DHCP on the Linksys and use a different range of IP addresses and a separate subnet than the current router is handling. So for example, if the LAN is 192.168.1.X and 255.255.255.0, use 10.1.10.X and 255.255.0.0. I was told that since I'm attached to a LAN port on the switch, there won't be any problems having 2 DHCP servers on the network. Is that correct, and will it work?

I've also read about VLAN's, but can't seem to find much information on them.

Oh, I almost forgot. The wireless will be used exclusively for guest access, as all of the employees use wired workstations.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 30 November 2009 - 11:31 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Might be me but the last time I sat in the dentist the last thing on my mind was whipping out a laptop and looking at email. I really don't think this is as good an idea as it sounds. You usually find public wi-fi points in spots where they may be useful, and I don't see a dentist's waiting room as being the place to go.

Just my two pence input...

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Yeah, I realize that, but if it's something he wants to do, and it's not costing him any money, what's the big deal?

Thanks for your help.