Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can get IP address but cannot access domain systems

• Please log in to reply

thilton19

thilton19

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a user with an HP business laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Windows 2000 Server domain. The laptop is one of many computers on this well established domain. This morning my user was able to login to the laptop and can get to the internet but cannot access any domain authenticated resources/servers. Here's the details:

- IP is assigned to the laptop via DHCP server on the domain controller: successful
- DNS is assigned to the laptop via DNS server on the domain controller: successful
- Since DHCP is configured to assign multiple DNS servers (1 internet DNS, 3 external DNS) the laptop is able to access the internet as it resolves DNS via the 3 external configurations, however the one internal DNS server does not respond.
- I am unable to ping ANY internal systems from the laptop, including the domain controller itself
- I am also unable to ping the laptop from the domain controller or from any other domain system.
- I can however ping domain systems from other domain systems.
- If I boot the system to Safe Mode with Networking, I can access all network resources without issue. If I boot normally, no dice.
- I've verified that the Windows Firewall is disabled and my antivirus software does not have a firewall.

The only thing I can figure is that there's something somewhere that is simply blocking all internal communications, though according to my user there was nothing installed between last week and this week. Last week everything worked fine. I'm currently scanning the system for viruses and such but wanted to get another opinion as to what may be the cause and any other suggestions to resolve the problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Advertisements

thilton19

thilton19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello All,

I figured out the problem. The user had hidden the VPN Client software from the Taskbar and the user's policy was active which caused all internal network communications to fail. Once I disabled the VPN policy, everything worked just fine.

Case closed.