Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a parellel to usb convertor

• Please log in to reply

NeekoSpoon

NeekoSpoon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I mistakenly bumped an old thread when I should have just started a new topic apparently, sorry about that.

So here's the new topic thread. I have an old hp LaserJet 6L that still works wonderfully well. I was hoping I could hook it up to our new computer, that as setting it up I realized does not have a parallel port. I recalled seeing and found a usb/parallel conversion cable. We bought that and I've been trying to make it work on the new system. I tried a few of the tricks in the old thread (at my own risk (it's how I found this site by googling a couple of the applicable terms)) It seemed to be on the right track since I got it to find things I previously was unable to find. Net result though is that it is still not working and I'm drawing a blank. I'm thinking the spelling of my downfall to making this works is S E V E N as in windows 7 which is what this new tube has. Am I outta luck?

Advertisements

NeekoSpoon

NeekoSpoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
whoops some more details to add: cable model is DX-UBPC. The computer is model p6243w from HP. as mentioned it's running windows 7

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I would suggest, that if you have a home network, that you use a JetDirect box to connect the printer. This allows access to the printer through the network, so multiple machines can access it. It tends to be easier to use and get working. You can often get these rather cheap, if not free (freecycle, freesharing, reuseit, ebay, etc.).

If not, you should be able to check to see if the device is seen and then add the printer. I am not sure of all the details with that, so perhaps others can add what you need to do there and what to check.

NeekoSpoon

NeekoSpoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, when I plug it into the usb port the devices box in windows shows an IEEE-1284 Controller listed in the Unspecified department. That is for sure what's being seen by the computer by the cable as it disappears when it is unplugged and vice versa. What I've tried doing thus far is to "Add a printer" "Add a local printer" "Use an existing port" then I've selected both "USB (Local port)" and "USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)" neither seem to work as when it offers me a chance to print a test page nothing happens. On the printer's side of things it's lights come on as if it knows it's connected, it just doesn't seem to carryout print jobs that windows supposedly has sent without error.

NeekoSpoon

NeekoSpoon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Slight update. Windows does indeed say there's an error in printing eventually. Just took a while. Any new ideas? The box thing isn't gunna work for me I'm afraid.