Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

750steve

750steve

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I'm buying myself a new Laptop & have my eye on a dell Studio 15 (see link below). It wont be used for serious stuff but i kinda want it to be future proof, well as much as it can.

Are there any issues yet with the core i7 processor in a laptop with regards to heating? & is this a good choice?

http://configure.eur...c...53508&s=dhs

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Seems like a nice laptop. 4gigs of DDR3 RAM, 320GB hard drive, Windows 7 64bit, i7 processor... looks good. :)

Are there any issues yet with the core i7 processor in a laptop with regards to heating? & is this a good choice?

I've heard this a few times now and I don't know where this is coming from. The i7 technology actually consumes less power which would directly relate to less heat. This is one of the most amazing things about the i7. It was one of the main goals of the new technology because scientists predicted if processors kept getting faster/more powerful they would eventually just incinerate or burn up. Hence, the i7 architecture was born. To confirm this... watch "The Making of Intel Core i7"

Furthermore, the i7 processors shut down cores that aren't being used (again, less heat if not all cores are powered on) and will automatically over-clock the working cores(making the processor faster). Watch THIS

I think you'll be just fine. :)

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
^^^^^ thank you for that, i guess i just need my mind put at rest!! TBH the laptop will handle anything i can throw at it im sure!!

Are there any things you would upgrade? Wireless N will prob be a waste on me as i prob won't be file sharing with my pc's through a network. I was maybe going to add the backlit keyboard just cos it can't be done later on??

If i told you all i'd be doing with it you'd prob laugh!!

My friend in question is running a slightly overclocked (he says??) i7-720 in his desktop & says his processor temp goes way high (he mentioned 70 degrees c, does that sound right??)

Edited by 750steve, 30 November 2009 - 08:53 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I think the laptop comes pretty nice as is. Nothing seems to pop out as to what you need to upgrade. It really depends on what you want and what you need it to do.

I think a backlit keyboard is a very good idea for just about anyone. I don't have one on my desktop or laptop and pretty much everyday I wish I could surf the web in the dark, but I can't see the darn keyboard!!! So I think that may be a good Christmas present to ask for :)

If i told you all i'd be doing with it you'd prob laugh!!

No I wouldn't. See that link to my computer in my signature down there? I don't even come close to needing that much power or cool looking hardware. But I'm a geek... an enthusiast... I just like new technology, awesome looks, and speed.

Buy what you want, not what others say you "only need". That's what I do :)