Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop doesn't turn on

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have a Compaq Presario V2000 laptop.

It hasn't been used in a few months.

When I plug in the power cord, the lightning symbol (Power charging) light is orange.

The cirle in the on button and on the panel on the front side are dark.

I hold down the start button and the circle start button lights orange and you can hear the short whine of a power up but it does not hold it. The computer immediately stops running (I suspect that's the cooling fan I hear, although there is a click that could be the hard drive).

Is the battery not charging at all? After being left plugged in for an hour, the lightning symbol light (charging light)is still orange.

Why doesn't the computer run on just the direct plug into the wall? Why does it need a battery?

If I install a new battery, will it start up and run?

Could the battery just be loose in its socket? How can I tell if it's dead- is there any such thing as a computer battery tester?

What should be my next step? Buy a new battery?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There are a few laptops that don't power on at all without a battery. However even putting a new battery in doesn't guarantee the laptop will boot if it has other issues. Therefore you may be throwing good money after bad.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
That's a good point about throwing good money after bad.

I did leave the charger on overnight and the orange pilot light went out but it has not been replaced by a green light saying that the battery has been charged.

I think this is telling me that the battery is taking some minimal chanrge but not enough to power on the unit.

I am thinking that the gamble of buying a new battery might be worth it.

What might be nice is if someone can tell me that the Compaq Presario is one of those units that will not turn on without a charged battery in place.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I went to the HP site and did some looking around.
Looking HEREshows 3 models for the V2000. I chose the 1st one.

Your drivers and software is located HERE. There is a link on the lower right for a battery recall. Battery Recall. Yours might be on the list.

Your Manual
It has a trouble shooting flow chart. I did not find anything about starting up without the battery.
I am suspecting the battery or the charger.

123runner