Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Alright, I know Laptops and upgrades just don't mesh. When I got the system (on 4/7/07) It wasn't all that bad

Here is the build sheet.
1	NP831	Processor, T5600, 1.83, 2MB Napa Refresh Merom, LONSDALE/LAVACA...
1	DF261	Assembly, Adapter, Alternating Current, 65W, Mobile 2007, Hipro World Wide
1	JP969	KIT..., SOFTWARE..., DELL MEDIA DIRECT..., 3, VSTA, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE...
1	DF771	CORD..., Power, 125, 1M, C7, 2P Dual, United States
1	NC929	Keyboard, 87, United States ENG, SINGLE POINTING..., D Plus Series
2	W5966	Dual In-line Memory Module 1GB, 533, 128X64, 8K, 200
1	XK514	Kit, Software, Mcafee, 8, Compact Disk Drive, English
1	GR448	Liquid Crystal Display, 15.4 WXGA+, VIDEO ELEC. STDS. ASSOC...., True Life, Samsung
1	KN358	Assembly, Cable, Coax, Liquid Crystal display, Single, 6400
1	NF882	Bezel, Assembly, Plastic, Liquid Crystal Display, 15.4, 6400
1	PN182	KIT..., Software, Works, 8.5 English
1	N3564	Hard Drive, 160G, Serial Ata 9.5, 5.4, SE080
1	UJ368	Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., 8X, TOSHIBA SAMSUNG STORAGE TECHNOLOGY..., SULLIVAN/TOBAGO...
1	RD850	Battery, Primary, 11.1V, 9C Lithium, SIMPLO
1	WF147	Card, Graphics, 128MB, M52 I6400
1	YH774	Card, Wireless, Minicard DW1390, Broadcom Corporation
1	JW762	Kit, Software, Overpack, VHP32 Digital Video Disk Drive English
1	XD720	ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., NOTEBOOK..., DISCRETE..., 6400
6	H5904	Bumper, Liquid Crystal Display Rubber, ARCTIC SILVER..., 6000
1	UF165	Assembly, Cover, Back, Liquid Crystal Display, Notebook, 6400
0	01322	INFORMATION..., FLYER, DELL HOME SYSTEMS..., INSPIRON
0	01322	INFORMATION..., FLYER, DELL HOME SYSTEMS..., INSPIRON
1	PD007	PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., I6400, DAO/EMEA
1	YK181	Guide, Product, Information Client, DAO/BCC
1	CH242	Assembly, Cover, Hinge, Plastic E1505
4	2864D	Screw, M3X3, K SCREW HEAD..., MICROSOFT..., BLACK OXIDE...
1	MK442	Heatsink, CPU/MCH, Notebook, 6400
2	XH819	Cover, Screw, Mylar, Inspiron 6400
I am looking at getting some upgrades (CPU, Gfx)

For CPU I am looking at this; Intel C2D T7200

And I am looking at the nVidia GeForce Go 7300

I really don't want to buy a new laptop, just upgrade this one a bit to handle the newer games.

The Last upgrade I would like to do, but I don't think it will work is to upgrade the ram to 4gb instead of 2. But with that issue I think I need to upgrade the BIOS and/or Mobo.

TIA Jon

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Graphics are not upgradable on a laptop.
The memory probably will be, the CPU could be if you really wanted to (though for what it's worth it probably isn't worth doing) and upgrading the board isn't possible as everything is unique to it and that chassis.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
For the unique factor, I figured as long as I got parts for the same model machine it would work. But as it stands right now, I don't have 900+ to spend on a new laptop and that is why I am looking at upgrading this one.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The only upgrades available realistically is the memory, the hard drive and possibly the CPU, however you have to be certain that your machine supports the replacement processor which it may not do, and for the slight performance gain you'll get I don't think it's worth it. The graphics are not upgradable and replacement boards to fit the chassis will probably be neigh-on impossible, it'd have to be the same board which would make it pointless in my view.

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i have a pretty good computer built for 600 dollars :-p. Upgrading laptops is very limited. The only thing i think you can is ram that would really help. What specs are you looking for?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Well, I would push this laptop to 4gb of ram but dell locked the system at 2gb and Don't want to go and buy 2x2gb 533mghz sticks, and only have 2gb be usable.

The other thing I want to try and achieve is a 2.0+ghz cpu. My final goal, is if supported replace the GPU with the nvidia geforce go 7300, This system came with a 2.0+ cpu, and the nvidia geforce go 7300 as options, so thus is why I was asking if it was possible to replace the gfx card (and I request you to look at the picture of the product here)

Total upgrades with some other minor replacement parts (screen mount rear bezel with hinges, keyboard, and battery) is just about $350, which is still alot less than a new laptop to do what I want it to do.

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ROFL. you have the exact same laptop as me and i'm building a computer for 600. I would put in another 300 dollars and get a much better computer or buy a new laptop. Upgrading a old laptop is a bad idea. First this graphics card for a desktop is worth 30 dollars... I'm only a teen, but paying 180 dollars for this graphics card is ridiculous. My graphics card is 160 dollars and is much better than this one. Actually you probably could get a okay laptop for 350 ish. Tell me if you want my computers specs.

Edited by mikewang, 04 December 2009 - 06:22 PM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I already have a kick a$$ desktop, Just want to get this laptop running l4d2 smoothly so I can take it with me instead of my desktop and other components.

Atleast a newer CPU, and trying to find a modified bios to allow more ram.

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
oh, well buying a new laptop wouldn't be too bad of an idea, but if you really want to upgrade then go right ahead. I never even thought about modifying the bios. Buying a new one would be good because it has newer parts and have better parts to be able to upgrade to. But Good luck. :]