Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! XP BSoD, Stop code 0x7c

• Please log in to reply

alcc

alcc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My XP SP2 just crashed with BSoD Stop code 0x7c. Can't boot even in safe mode or from last good config.

And I can't even find any info re 0x7c. Just want to narrow down the possibilities. That's ridiculous. Why no listing? WHat good is an error code then?

Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
It's BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER according to what I found over at MSDN. Scroll down till you see the 0x7C part on the left. It says the cause of the error is:

An FDDI driver indicated that it received a packet by using a packet descriptor that the protocol stack is currently using.

But I have no idea what that means. :) It looks like it's centered around the NIC. Is your NIC soldered to the MOBO, or can it be removed from the system? Maybe you could yank the NIC?

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 01 December 2009 - 07:10 AM.

alcc

alcc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Spyder,

Thanks for your effort and reply; however, 0x7c is the stop code for NDIS for Win2000 only. That same fault has a stop code of 0x8D in WinXP. I cannot for the life of me find out what 0x7c is for WinXP.

-A.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

alcc

alcc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Broni,

Thanks, but it wouldn't boot, so to use BlueScreenView I'd have to pull the drive off and read the minidump files off from another PC.

In any event, I gave up trying to troubleshoot, went and found the XP Install CD and did a repair re-install.

Guess will never know what caused the 0x7c (sometimes 0x7e) code.

Thanks.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Thanks for posting back :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

0x7c is the stop code for NDIS for Win2000 only.

Ah, crap. I didn't catch that line at the bottom of the page when I was doing the search. Sorry about that. :)