Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyBook Essential Edition Drivers/Software

• Please log in to reply

ChibiPandaKun

ChibiPandaKun

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there. I own a WD MyBook 1tb and i love it.

The problem is i just recently got new parts for my computer so everything old got replaced. I go and plug the MyBook into my usb and it doesn't install whatsoever like it did when i first got it. But then i remembered that when i first got it i deleted all the data it came with (the files needed to install via autoplay) thinking, "I can always download the drivers later on, this is just a waste of space." So far, i haven't found a way to get it working.

So is there a way i can manually download and install the needed files to get the MyBook working? If i can get my old computer running, plug in the MyBook, place the necessary files on it, and be able to install it on my new computer as before? Or, if i plugged in another MyBook that installs on my computer, will my old one work?

Am i doomed to have an expensive door stop for the rest of my life?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This might help:

Service & Support

Downloads: My Book

Installation: My Book

ChibiPandaKun

ChibiPandaKun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Wouldn't i need to run the setup from the mybook?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you select the Installation link and pick your MyBook from the list/images shown? You didn't list details of your MyBook so I don't know which one to select. This is an example of a Quick Install PDF:

My Book® Home Edition™

There's a lot more install information available for yours. Driver(s) are probably here. You will have to install driver(s) since you deleted the self-installer from the drive.

Some of the questions seem to be exactly what you want to know: Knowledge Base

ChibiPandaKun

ChibiPandaKun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I ended up getting it to work.

Please close this thread.

Edited by ChibiPandaKun, 02 December 2009 - 01:19 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. I was going to post this: My Book Essential Edition 2.0 Software (All) which is what you can reinstall on the USB drive. For others who may be following this thread:

Description

This zip file contains an updated copy of the files that were originally included on your drive when it was purchased.

This software is only available for download through our registration service. You will need to register your WD product to download the software. If your WD product is already registered, you must log into our registration service to download the software.

# File Name: MBE2_image.zip
# File Size: 99.1 MB

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

External USB/FireWire Fat32 Formatting Utility

Glad you got it working ok.