Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HD health oddity?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Running HDDHealth showed that my hard drive is critical (0%) and the first run showed the temp. to be -1 deg C!! Doing again the temp was back up to 37 deg but the health was still critical.

Running Belarc Advisor the HD was healthy but without other details.

Running HDDlife the HD is healthy(78%) and all's well.

The HDD Health warning keeps on appearing in the System Tray.

Can anyone tell me which to trust, if at all? Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no industry standard for measuring the life or "health" of the hard drive. Different manufacturers report it in different ways, and as you've found, different software reports it in different ways.

The only standards that everybody can adhere to is, if it clicks heavily it's dead, if it doesn't spin while powered it's probably dead and if it makes grinding noises it'll soon be dead. The moral of the story: Back up regularly. :)

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Thanks for that Neil.

There's no clicking nor any other indications of trouble so I'll keep on backing up.

I noticed that HDDLife gives a HD "Working Time" number for my 6 year old PC of about 1700 hours which seems reasonable. But....

doing it on my 1 year old laptop the Working Time was 25 years 11 months - hmmm.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Now I see it's has gone up to 25 years 12(sic) months and 2 hours - "are they havin' a laugh"?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Like they say, trust nothing. You'll know when it's beginning to pack up.