Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I choose the right memory?

• Please log in to reply

AF_Money

AF_Money

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ive got an ASUS P55D7D Pro Motherboard and an i5-750 CPU. Probably gunna go with an XFX 4890 ATI graphics card. Now for the RAM. I've got G. Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (12800) picked out. My main use for my computer is for online gaming. How do i know what i need as opposed to what's nice to have and whats the difference?

Advertisements

ItsJJStyles

ItsJJStyles

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey there AF_Money!

After some quick searching on google, it appears that your motherboard is compatible with DDR3 Ram (as I suspected). So feel confident in using any type of DDR3 Ram you wish.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
O, i thought I had to stick with the "memory standard". Good to know that i can use any DDR3 memory. Well with that being said, would i notice a difference between 1333 and 1600? I understand that a lower CAS Latency is good, however after researching out what exactly that is, (which is pretty much rocket science in of itself), lower latency doesn't necissarily mean faster memory. I guess I'm just confused about what I should be looking for for my particular uses; mostly online gaming. The previously mentioned GSkill RAM i have picked out is $95. GSkill makes another chip for $105 and for all intensive product descriptions, the specs look exactly the same. What makes one more expensive than the other? And really the 1333 chips are about the same price as the 1600, so i don't really know what i'm paying for... ???

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
ItsJJStyles

I am not sure where you came up with the specs on google for the P55D7D pro motherboard because I did not get any hits.
The scanner at Crucial and 4AllMemory can't find it and Asustek does not show it either (not found in a search).

The only thing close is a P7P55D PRO found Here

The P7P55D pro specifications are Here

AF_Money
If you look at the specs on the ram, you will see that you can run 1600 and 1333. The 1600 will be a little bit faster.
Have you looked at the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to be sure your memory is listed?

123runner

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also make sure the 1600 memory is used for when you overclock the cpu only as it wouldn't be something I would advise.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

ItsJJStyles

I am not sure where you came up with the specs on google for the P55D7D pro motherboard because I did not get any hits.
The scanner at Crucial and 4AllMemory can't find it and Asustek does not show it either (not found in a search).

The only thing close is a P7P55D PRO found Here

The P7P55D pro specifications are Here

AF_Money
If you look at the specs on the ram, you will see that you can run 1600 and 1333. The 1600 will be a little bit faster.
Have you looked at the QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to be sure your memory is listed?

123runner

lol sorry. mistyped the MB number. Ya, the one you found is the one i'm gettin. I just assumed it was compatible with i5/i7 and everyone says I can run DDR3 1600MHz RAM. No i didn't look at the vendor list. I'll check it out. Is there a better MB I should be looking at? I'll be OC my CPU but thats about it, and I want a board that can run SLI/XFire video cards. This board is about at my max price range. I've checked out gigabytes ud3p board, but at the same price, customer reviews and layout of the ASUS board has leaned me in that direction. Thanks for the replies!

Edited by AF_Money, 03 December 2009 - 04:24 PM.

AF_Money

AF_Money

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ok the QVL just confused me. I just want 4 GB (2 x 2GB) of DDR3 1333/1600 RAM for online gaming for under $100. Newegg can't seem to find any of the model numbers in the QVL from the ASUS website. There are a lot of tripple channel 6GB (3 x 2GB) sets in the list. I thought triple channel memory was only compatable with x58 boards using the i7? Do i need to use the exact model numbers for the memory to work right? I was hoping since they have GSkill as a qualified vendor for DDR3 1600 RAM, that it should all work?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first build and i'm learning as I go.

Thanks again