Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited conectivity caused by remote desktop usage

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
This is a strange issue that has cropped up and noone seems to know the answer. I have set up my home computer in a DMZ using dhcp to assign the exernal ip address. And utalize Dyndns to host a few ftp servers as well as remote desktop. recently the remote computer has been encountering the limited or no conectivity error and this only happenes after i disconect remote desktop. after rebooting or repairing the connection I can remotely connect to the computer once and only once. if i close remote desktop for more than a minute or two the remote computer no longer accepts connections or even pings. when i get home and check the settings the wireless card is reading limited or no conectivity repairing the connection restores normal operation untill the next time i use remote desktop. so far i have gotten around this error by using a auto clicking program to initiate a repair 5 minutes after I disconect but this is a temporary solution and sometimes doesent work if i left a window open that prevents the program from clicking in the right area. i want a fix for this as it is driving me crazy and takes down my ftp servers for long periods of time every time i need to change a setting.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are you disconnecting from the RDP session?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
the back key on a htc fuze or diconect session but normally it doesent matter what computer i use to connect with it

Edited by mikeloeven, 01 December 2009 - 04:14 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is there any way that you could have the target computer connected via ethernet instead of wireless? even if just for a test?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
yes i can try that but it will take a while as the power supply for my laptop blew a few caps and i am waiting on a replacement

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
well i have narrowed the cause of this issue to dhcp i tried using a static ip and now it is working normally so now the question is why dhcp wont asign an ip unless someone is logged into the computer

Edited by mikeloeven, 13 December 2009 - 09:52 AM.