Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GPU question

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, I've been a loyal fan of NVIDIA for past few years. Lately, I found that ATI is better in terms of price, quality, and performance. So I thought that I might as well switch to ATI.

So I went to ati site and got redirected to amd instead. So I thought maybe ATI gpu won't give me its full performance since I use intel motherboard and cpu.
Is it better to switch to amd so I can use ATI gpu on its full power?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually AMD and ATI are now one of the same so that is why you got redirected.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Actually AMD and ATI are now one of the same so that is why you got redirected.

Ahh I see...I thought AMD is too poor to buy over another company. Oh wait...maybe the other way around. ATI is rich enough to swallow poor little AMD there =)
I'm planning to get ATI Radeon 4850 because I heard it's about the same with the expensive 9800 GTX+.
The power requirement says that I need minimum 450 watts. I have 460 watts psu.
Would it run well and fine on COD4 or any other high games?
My pc has 1 dvd drive and 1 hard drive. I may add another drive.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi Welcome to Geeks To Go :)

Your PSU may be able to handle the power requirements of the GPU.

You can't determine based on your wattage alone if your PSU can handle the GPU, You need to figure out how many Amps the GPU requires

Then the 12v leads from your psu need to be able to supply enough power to it

Here is a calculator to figure out some of your needs...

eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:

1. Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
2. Efficiency,
3. Total wattage.

Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

Thanks to Digerati for these instructions :)

Good luck,

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hmm....did I put it correctly??? It says 280 watts recommended.
The cpu is E8200, GPU would be radeon 4850, 2 ddr2 sdram sticks, 2 drives (1 dvd-rw and 1 blu-ray), 1 regular sata, 56k pci modem, 2 usb devices(usb mouse and linksys adapter), 1 80mm fan with led + 92mm cpu fan, system load at 90%(default). That's what I put. Did I miss anything?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi I just gave you the calculator as a guide...

For right now what is the make and model of your PSU and we will go from there...

Good luck

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As a rule I usually suggest a 500 watt PSU for all new systems now. I personally like the Corsairs with the 80 Plus certification. The link will take you to TigerDirect with the list of their available Corsair 80 plus line.

Axelion

Axelion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
This is my power supply.
http://www.centralco...d=1259791408250
I bought it from that store about a year in a half ago.

I've done a research on Radeon 4850. It appears to have high temperature and very hot. Most people recommended buying a better fan. But that would cost more money =(
So is there any good video card that probably on par with radeon 4850 in terms of performance and cost?

Edited by Axelion, 02 December 2009 - 04:14 PM.