Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

receiving 169.xxx.xxx.xxx only after i applied windows updates

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok here is my issue

I had windows xp installed on my gateway laptop. I installed and upgraded to windows 7 home. Everything worked fine. Was able to connect to the internet, everything was ok. I think i had my automatic windows updates on and when i restarted my laptop the updates got installed.

When i restarted my laptop, my laptop started to say limited access so immediately i went to look at the ip address and it came back with the 169 address, and I know im supposed to see the 192 address. Any idea as to what I could do.

I also have another laptop with xp installed and that laptop can access my home network fine. So i think and kinda believes its something to do with the laptop.

i can ping 127.0.0.1

when i type ipconfig i get
link-local ipv6 address is a very long number(mixed with letters and numbers)
autoconfig ip4 address is 169.254.10.74
subnet mask is 255.255.0.0
default gateway is blank

Does anyone require anymore information. I really neeed this up and running. Please help

nevermind.. i solved it

Edited by mrq201, 01 December 2009 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements