Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium I7 HELP

• Please log in to reply

demonmouth

demonmouth

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello ive recently started building my new rig which is a pentium I7 940 with an MSI x58 pro-e motherboard, im using an antec 850w signature series power supply as well. now im not too sure if the 8 pin ATX connector from the power supply needs to be used or the 4 pin ATX connector, the booklet for the cpu doesnt say and the motherboard manual doesnt tell you anything.i looked at the intel but cant find anything that i need to know thankyou for anyone who can help

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

the motherboard manual doesnt tell you anything

Oh? Did you happen to notice page 2-11? :)

demonmouth

demonmouth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
in the motherboard manual the ATX instuctions are page 13 actually and it doesnt say if the 24 pin atx plug needs to use the 8 pin or the 4 pin connector for cpu? its an I7 940

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
On the MSI download page for your motherboard located here: http://www.msi.com/i...mp;prod_no=1804, if I select the English version and open it to page 2-11 (as printed in the downloaded manual) it clearly shows using the 8-pin 12V CPU power connector.

Also note the 24-pin connector (not part of your original question) has nothing to do with the extra ATX 8-pin CPU connector - except both are explained on that same page 2-11.

If I pull down both the European and the Asian versions of your manual, and look on page En-13 of either manuals, I see the exact same illustrations and text that instructs to use the 8-pin connector.

So I don't know what manual you are looking at, but the ones for your motherboard on MSI's site is pretty clear. You use the 24-pin and the 8 pin.

demonmouth

demonmouth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for your help mate and sorry for wasting your time, i wasn't quite sure but have just checked up on the link you have posted which clarifies what your saying, cheers for steering me in the right direction mate.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem and good luck.