Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hotmail doesn't log OUT

• Please log in to reply

mego

mego

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to log out of Hotmail on my MacBook (so in Safari), I have recently started getting an error message saying: Sign out failed!
We could not sign you out because your browser seems to be blocking third party cookies. Close all browser windows to sign out.
To prevent this error in the future, you must enable third party cookies by chaging your browser settings. I have cookies enabled only for sites I go to, not third party. As someone who used to get malware/spyware plagues when I had a PC/Internet Explorer and hasn't had any problems since switching to Mac/Safari, I'm worried about giving access to 3rd parties. Any advice what to do would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have 3rd part cookies blocked and just click the Done button. It is aggravating, but I'm not going to allow a site to tell me how to accept my cookies. Just click Done, refresh the page and check that you have been logged out.

This kinda goes along with MySpace telling me I have to upgrade my Firefox just to see the page any more. So, now I don't see MySpace pages any more. :) Reminds me of the times when Micro$oft use to push a non-IE page or CSS at you to really mess up the pages you were viewing.

If you have a free Hotmail account, I would just switch to GMail. They have lots more tools and a better email account. It's POP3 friendly and FREE!

mego

mego

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! Feels good to just say no to Microsoft!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're very welcome. I only keep my Hotmail account active as it is tied to my MSN and has been for years. Happy Holidays to you.