Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Running Slow and Freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You say there is a icon on the taskbar. Right click on it and see if there is a Uninstall, Disable or pause option.
Let me know

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also did Ror have you run a program called JavaRa? If not please do the following.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's not in the task bar, it's on my desktop. I do not have any of those options when I right click it on the desktop but when I get to it from my start menu and right click I have the option to uninstall. Should I do that? I'm not sure who or what Ror is... you asked did Ror have me run a program, but I will follow your instructions after that. I'm sorry.. I'm pretty decent on a computer but not up to speed on all of the lingo.. please forgive me lack of knowledge lol and I appreciate your patience :)

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is to add on to my above post... I did everything you said with the Java.. but I'm confused on the last line. You said to install the latest JRE version for my computer but the page it takes me to has TONS to choose from and I'm not sure which applies. Or am I supposed to click on the link to check for updates for all opertating systems and then pick my system from there? For XP there are two choices.. online and offline and if that is where I'm supposed to go for my download I don't know if I'm online or offline as silly as that may sound lol.

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh my gosh... I'm totally freaking out... I know this is kinda off topic but my speakers have not been working so I did a search and came across some advice on here to do a system restore.. worked like a charm. But now I went to upload some pics off of my camera and the program is gone as I obviously installed it after the date I went back to on my system restore. All of my pics are gone!!! I read that system restores are reversible.. if I restore it back to the most recent one will that program and my pics reappear??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK one step at a time here.
I was mistaken as I thought you had been through the malware forum and I was wrong. Sorry for the confusion here.
Next is the program itself and the answer is Yes if it gives you the option to Unistall then please do that.
Next is the JavaRa program. What this does is remove all the old versions of Java from your system. The newest version is HERE Version 6 Update 17

hmp422

hmp422

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I had been through that forum at one time, so I know where you got that from. In my first post I mentioned that a couple of years back I had the trojan and malware problem and it was removed by a very nice guy on this site and I was concerned that I may have that issue again (or something along those lines) since I had unknowingly gotten it once before. Sorry if I confused you. I uninstalled Norton and I do have the latest version of Java. My computer was running slow and freezing up before the Norton scan was popping up but I don't know when Norton was installed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since it looks like then that you may have a infection then let's have that checked out before we go any further.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here