Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Some installation help.

• Please log in to reply

MatCon5

MatCon5

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I had another topic about building an i5 System. I've received my parts and am looking for some small help.

1. Motherboard Asus P7P55D Le LGA1156, RAM G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL.
The motherboard manual says voltage for this ram is 1.6 and on the RAM itself it says 1.5
Which do I use?

2. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 heatsink I bought required a backplate to be installed, other heatsinks I used didn't require nuts and screws so I was wondering how snug should the nuts be for the backplate and how snug should the screws be for the heatsink once installed?

3. Not sure if anyone else has used this setup yet so it might be a long shot to ask. But about the heatsink.. The copper heat pipes run across the plate, there are gaps so I assume I need to use extra thermal paste.
Is the thermal paste that comes with the heatsink decent enough to use? I don't think I have enough arctic silver left to cover the CPU and add extra to the plate to cover the small gaps the copper pipes have on the heatsink plate. This one is bugging me a lot, since I'm new to this type of install.

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll be back with other questions once my case arrives and I can start putting it completely together.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) You don't. The board will sort it out.
2) Secure enough so it doesn't fall off. Don't overtighten.
3) Paste that comes with a third part heatsink is usually plentiful and then some more. Selling it without enough paste is kind of like selling a car without any doors. If in doubt, read the instructions that came with the cooler.