Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop modem problem

• Please log in to reply

has33

has33

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased a Compaq Presario M2007US laptop. It came with a Soft V92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. I used the same phone connection as my desktop (I usually connect around 50K). The best connect speed I could get with the laptop was 28K. Is this normal? I called Compaq and they made me uninstall the driver and reinstall it. Still no improvement. I just need someone to tell me if laptops can connect as good as desktops. Thank you.

Advertisements

LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
you should be able to connect with the same or comparable speed it being a lap top is a non issue. since I have no idea what you are running I cannot walk you through setting the speed on this modem. lets assume you are running xp and using "classic view" for control panel. then go into control panel select "phone and modems" select the "modems" tab and select your modem you want to configure then click properties on the modem tab, in the maximum port speed list click the speed for your modem.

If you in catagory view
To open Phone and Modem Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.

has33

has33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did what you suggested. My modem is already set at the highest setting (115200). This did not help my connection problem. I also tried hooking up with several phone jacks around the house, but I received a 28K connection at each one. Any other suggestions you could provide would be much appreciated. You said this problem has nothing to do with the fact that the computer is a laptop. What could be causing the problem then? I know it's not the phone wires, because my desktop computer works fine...Thanks again for any help.