Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Disconnects Shuts Computer Down

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

You must be in the publishing business.

nope...just computer support..
try booting into safe mode and see if you crash while trying to remove usb flash drive

Advertisements

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Tried it. Same result. Of course there's no System Tray in Safe Mode so I couldn't click on the USB icon to effect a safe shutdown.

Here's an interesting oddity. Following that experiment and while operating in normal mode I inserted a thumb drive. First I got the small window asking how I wanted to view the photos on it and I clicked "Cancel." I then right clicked Start > Explore and got the same sort of shut-down. Couldn't repeat this behavior.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try a workaround...insert usb thumbdrive....move a small file onto or off the drive...
click on my computer...right click on the usb flash drive...from the drop down menu select eject..
try removing the drive

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The suggested workaround yields the same crash with OR WITHOUT a file transfer. The crash happens upon physical removal of the thumb drive from the computer.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets try a linux live cd...that will tell us if its a hardware issue or a operating system problem...
the following instructions are for recovering data from a system that won't boot but in this case we only want to see if the computer crashes when you remove the flash drive...
get puppy linux 2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso here...

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Clicking on the link you provided for Puppy Linux results in a File Not Found message with a "redirect" with links to Puppy 4.3.1. Can that distro be used in the same way? How about Ubuntu? I already have that although I'm not sure I recall how to find the drives because I haven't fooled around with it for a long time.

The last part of your directions seem to be directed toward recovering files from a non-functional computer. That's not my case. Just wacky USB behavior.

I sure appreciate your persistence.

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I think we've turned a corner here.

I booted into Ubuntu, inserted a thumb drive and read a couple of files. Then I clicked on "eject" for the thumb drive before disconnecting it physically from the computer. NO CRASH! I went through this process again but this time omitted the "eject" before disconnecting and again there was no crash.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I will check and make sure the link in my puppy canned is updated so it works...
since we now know its got to be a windows problem since linux doesn't crash when removing the flash drive...
we need to first try sfc /scannow and if it fails to work we would have repair your OS..

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ran sfc /scannow twice per instructions at http://pcsupport.abo...sfc-scannow.htm. No errors reported. Rebooted.

Crashes continue.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating another user account...give it admin rights...
reboot and see if the new account has the same issue...
nojoy...
look in the bios and see if ACPI is enabled...if it is disable it... save your settings and reboot and test for crashes

Advertisements

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Still crashes with another User Account.

Don't see any reference to ACPI in my BIOS listing. Under the Power Management heading there are three settings: Suspend Mode (S3 is selected), AC Power Recovery (Off), and Low Power Mode (Disabled).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look around in the bios for a setting that decides what controls plug and play...
if its set for the bios to control ...the switch to the OS...if its set to the OS switch to the bios...
we just want to toggle it..save your settings and reboot...
if that doesn't help...I am running out of ideas short of a clean install...
before we opt for a reinstall of the OS...let me run this by a few other techs to see if they have any thoughts..

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Removed contents for being tools use primarily in the malware forum.

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
happyrock,

BIOS Dell Computer Corp.Version A06, 10/08/2003: no reference to Plug n Play. Here's the listing:

System Time
System Date
Drive Configuration
Hard-Disk Drive Sequence
Boot Sequence
Memory Information
CPU Information
Integrated Devices (LehadySelect Options)
Power Management
System Security
Keyboard NumLock
Report Keyboard Errors
Auto Power On
Fast Boot
Os Install Mode
IDE Hard Drive Acoustics Mode
System Event Log
Asset Tag

I've checked the options under each of these where provided and none of them is ACPI or Plug and Play related.

Would a screenshot of the Belarc Advisor readout be useful to you?

Is it likely that this problem could be cause by the interference of a startup program? I've got lots of them but can't identify a large part of them.

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
JSntgRvr,

Thanks for jumping in the pool here. Perhaps another island resident like me (Oahu) can crack this nut.

Simple question before we begin - is Norton Anti-Virus a script blocker?