Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Disconnects Shuts Computer Down

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you cannot identify the individual driver in Device Manager then it would be easier to uninstall all of them again like you did before. Reboot the computer and do not install any driver other then those installed automatically by windows. We would like to concentrate on the camera without other devices interfering. Now follow happyrock's advise and connect the camera without installing any drivers. If successful, reinstall the printer.

The driver that you mentioned is needed for older windows version (98 etc) because they have no USB 2.0 support. If your computer run XP-SP1 and above, the driver is not needed.

Advertisements

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
All USB drivers Uninstalled
System rebooted
Sony DSC-P9 camera attached
Computer recognized camera
Window opened asking for choice of actions to take
Clicked on Cancel
Clicked Icon for removal of USB device
Computer crashed.
Cursed.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you try the camera on another computer?

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have and it works on both my laptop and my wife's desktop.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you reset the BIOS? If not, please do the following: Disconnect the power cable and take out carefuly the CMOS battery. Usually 10 minutes is enough but this time I would like it to be not less then half an hour. Reinstall the battery and set time and date.

By the way, did you try connecting this particular camera when the computer is running on Linux?

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Just booted into Linux (Ubuntu) and the computer and camera played nicely together. Guess that points to my installation of Win XP, huh? Is there any way to reinstall XP without the need to reinstall each of my programs individually?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you could try a repair first...that way you wouldn't have to reinstall all your apps..
to repair xp...lowdown is here

Bluebeard

Bluebeard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Tryin' to work up my courage for this one. :-{