Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer wont go into CMOS screen Etc

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
My system (first time building

ASUS K8V Se Deluxe
754 AMD 64 3400
Chaintech nVidia 6600 GT
786? mb ram
40 gb hd
Dvd-rom
cd-rw
Diablotek 550w power supply Samurai case

which worked recently stopped working. In CMOS it said windows needed repair and i need to press r to repair. that didnt work so i cleared RTC ram memory as the manual said to clear all my data. upon repluggin teh power supply cord it turned on. so i tryed turing it of by holding the case switch in the front for 5 secs.

and it wouldnt go off so iturned of the power supply. when it was on it wouldnt go into cmos and my screen was blank. when it was on i tryed ejecting a CD drive but it wouldnt. my friend has the same Power supply and it malfunctioned

whts teh prob is it my power supply

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

We need a little history on the system.

How long was it running,days,weeks?
Did windows install correctly and run good?
Do you have a case speaker connected and are there any beeps?

It would be a good idea to test the power supply if you have a volt meter or can get one I can explain more, or if you have another psu you can try.

I would like to test the psu first because the of the cd door not opening indicating that its not getting power.

Rick

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
XP was installed just fine and running for at least a week, then i installed service pak 2 from softwarepatch.com
at first it went half way through and then there was an error and could not go back to the original configuration. so i had half of service pak 2 installed. later i tryed installing service pak 2 again and it worked, but my computer was not running smooth due to service pak confusion. then my brother inproperly turmed off teh computer resulting in an error that required me to repair windows. but my computer didnt want to read the Cd so i cleared teh RTC memory thinking it would help. but since i did ive had tis problem

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
also no beeps indicating POST

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
1 Unplug the computer
2 remove the battery
3 Move the CLRTC jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 for 10 seconds and replace on pins 1&2
4 replace the battery
5 power on the computer and press the delete key during boot to enter bios
6 Set your boot order to floppy 1st,cdrom 2nd, and hdd 3rd
7 Under the exit menu in bios load the bios drfaults
8 put windows cd in
9 save and exit bios the system should reboot to the windows cd.

because of the failed sp2 install I would reformat and the install windows.
After you get windows up and running and install the chipset drivers report back and I will give you instructions on how to safely install sp2.

Let me know how it goes

Rick

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
i did steps 1 to 4 but as soon as i would plug the power cord into the wall it would turn on and the only way it would turn off is by turning the PSU switch off. The problem is not the PSU, i tested using a friends PSU and i had the same problem

is maybe the cases on switchi s stuck?

:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
To check the case switch follow the wirers to were they connect on the mobo, remove them and see if the computer starts if not the switch is bad.

To turn on the computer without the switch connected touch the two pins with a screw driver and release it right away, this should power on the computer.

Then follow the rest of the steps.

Rick

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
when is disconnect all the cases wires the computer still goes on by it self when i plug it in ( but nothing on screen )

i probably should take advantage of my warranty from ASUS and get a new mobo

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes its time for a rma that has to be in the mobo

Rick