Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Center (not a dvr please)

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Our family is looking to cut costs and simplify things. The first steps we took were getting rid of phone and cable, opting for Ooma and internet TV (such as Hulu). Now though we'd like to do something else...

I got this idea from Wii USB loading (google it :-P). I thought, why can't that be done with DVDs, and duh, yes it can! I know how to rip DVDs to movie files and I don't want to get into legal or ethical debate, I am simply asking if anyone knows of any good devices that can hold a lot (and I mean a LOT... think 500GB-5TB), have a GUI navigated by a remote and connect to a TV? I'd prefer not having a full fledged computer.

I am aware of Apple TV, but didn't know if movie files can exist independently on there without syncing from iTunes, since I don't have the space to keep them all on my computer's hard drive. Also, I feel their space limitation is too small.

Any ideas?

P.S. if this requires piecing things together or using "unofficial tweaks" I am willing and not afraid.

Advertisements

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
*Double post I know*
I did some more research and saw WDTV and that looks good but I wanted to know some reviews and what its features are. The website I found didn't provide me with much. Any other product that is similar? Also where I can get cheap/good quality external hard drives (preferably 500GB-1TB)
Tx!

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
come on.... no one?!? Please help

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
forget it... I just got a tv adapter for my macbook and will get an external hardrive...

tx for nothing