Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Display becomes garbled and comp crashes

• Please log in to reply

dinsim

dinsim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. My computer (hp desktop) and monitor were both new. After using them only for a few days, the following problem occurred: My display would freeze, and I wouldn't be able to move my mouse/type/ctrl+alt+delete and the screen would become grainy and jagged in places, like a tv with bad reception. Then eventually the display would just shut off and I would need to reboot. I'm not sure if this is related, but also my resolution randomly resets to the bad default one when my computer sleeps or reboots or something, and this happens a lot after this sort of crash. One more thing I noticed is that some applications seem to trigger this crash - like a site that has a java applet. I'm not really sure if this is software or hardware problem, but my OS in Vista. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My computer (hp desktop) and monitor were both new.

How new are you talking?
Is there a warranty on it still?
If it has a warranty and is only a couple of days old then take it back and have it fixed under the warranty.