Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Controller Drivers Not Working?

• Please log in to reply

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
I have a Gateway CX210X and it uses ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 PCI Express Graphics featuring Avivo™ display technology, but has issues with starting up and the display either freezes or blanks out completely...I have to try many times...so far tonight I have tried at least 7 times and can only get it to boot up in safe mode.

I believe it boots in safe mode using the Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 that is also included with this computer. I want to know if I can change the drivers used so that it does not use ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1400 PCI Express Graphics featuring Avivo™ display technology on start up, but uses Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 instead?

Gateway is NO help at all...and the last I checked the ATI site, it said to contact Gateway for any driver updates, etc...I am desperate for any options you may have! I have even gone so far as to do an entire OS reinstall!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have even gone so far as to do an entire OS reinstall!!

If this is so then you are using the native driver. Please do the following....

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Expand the window so everything can be seen

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
attaching that .jpg for you...also, I did get the drivers downloaded from the Gateway site...finally! It was suggested to me to start up in safe mode and remove the drivers from the device mgr and the program from the add/remove programs in control panel and then reinstall the drivers...but I figure I would stick with your options first...you might have another idea or want me to try this anyways :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only problem I see if that modem entry. Have you tried to right click on it and uninstall it?

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Yes, I have tried that...but that is for the modem...I did uninstall and reinstall the ATI drivers...but it still seems to have issues....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see no problem with the video. Is the bootup process freezing or is it completely in windows and after loading everything that it freezes?

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
It is both....it can happen at anytime...Sometimes now I don't even get a screen when I first turn on the machine...I was thinking it might be the screen itself, but it does it on an external monitor as well...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok so now we are talking about a different problem. If you are not getting any video then the problem is not a driver issue since post uses a generic driver to work.
How old is this system?
Is there still a warranty on it?
Being that you did the external monitor test that would indicate a faulty video chip. Does the system bootup other then the screen remaining black when this happens?

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Yes it does seem to continue booting...Can't tell for sure cause I can't see anything LOL

It is a little over 3 years old and the warranty has expired :)

I thought it was a driver issue cause it happened on both monitors and I can only have both monitors with the ATI running...but I could be SO wrong it is beyond funny :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I really think your video chip is failing or has failed. If it worked on a external monitor I would say screen. Since the Device Manager shows no issue with driver then the only culprit is the chip itself or a failing motherboard. The latter being highly unlikely since the system still continues to boot even with no video.

Advertisements

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
Ewwwww YUCKY!! Well Thanks for the help!! Will have to live with it since I can't afford a new computer at this time :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this if you can get it to show you video. Go HERE and scroll clear down till you find the section named Video Downloads.
Download the 3rd from the bottom driver for XP since I guess that is your OS. The file is labeled as
D00565-001-001.exe ATI Video Driver Version:208.24-060317a1-032041C . Save the file to your Desktop so it will be easy to find in the next steps.
After doing the above the reboot into Safe Mode and then go to Device Manager
Expand the Display Adapters and then Right click on the Video driver and uninstall it.
Reboot and go into normal mode.
When it starts to load the driver for the video card cancel it and then click on the file you just downloaded. It should load the correct driver for you.

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
I did that...but still get the same thing...Must be that video chip failing...probably due to the VERY HIGH heat this laptop gives off :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm have you made sure all the vents are cleaned out?
Try this and I'll take a look at the results.
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

ShoalBear

ShoalBear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
I did that...but my screenshot is a bit different from yours...may be the newer version of speedfan??

[attachment=36688:speedfan.jpg]