Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

psu voltage readings

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

First post hope I'm in the right section!

Ive been suffering from dropping frame rates in an online game I play, and when i went to the forums for the game i was asked to post some specs. After being directed to Everest Home Edition i was told that my psu was going bad. Scared that i would fry something more than the psu I puulled my 8800 gts and swapped the psu for the factory psu and was told it was faulty as well.Im clueless about how to read the voltage readings and was wondering if anyone here could help.

readings with:
EVGA nvidia 8800 gts 320 mb
Hercules 500W Dual Fan Computer Power Supply

Posted Image

Posted Image

Voltage Values

CPU Core 1.34 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 1.78 V
+5 V 5.59 V
+12 V 12.03 V
+5 V Standby 5.13 V
VBAT Battery 3.06 V
Debug Info F F8 4F 00
Debug Info T 13 44 25
Debug Info V 54 9B 6F D0 BC 48 B2 (77)

and the readings with :
nvidia 6150 (onboard gpu)
and factory psu : http://www.power-on....tx12v250bt.html

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.34 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 1.78 V
+5 V 5.51 V
+12 V 11.71 V
+5 V Standby 5.05 V
VBAT Battery 2.99 V
Debug Info F 7E 58 00
Debug Info T 12 45 25
Debug Info V 54 9B 6F CD B7 49 B2 (77)

It appears to me that the factory psu is in actually worse shape then the after market one, but like i said i have no clue what im talkin about or i wouldnt be here looking for help :)

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when selecting a new PSU...your biggest concern is that max wattage rating (and the manufacturer...as some PSU's are better than others) what you want to do is get another 500 watt PSU, the other voltages will all be the same on any PSU you get (no matter what wattage it is)....i'm not the type to keep too current on all of these things so i can't really suggest anything specific.....but sticking with a main brand (like antec or thermal take) and keeping the wattage at least at 500 watts is a good idea

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I
may be misunderstanding something here, sorry...

i am concerned about the voltage on the +3.3
on both psu's its reading 1.78 V

on the 500 w psu im using the +3.3 is +3.16 to +3.46V and its reading 1.78 V

im not sure what the factory pus +3.3 is (where im a noob)

I'm concearned about this reading and if its the same on both psu's , could something be causing this?

Thanks for your reply and help so far

Edited by Neo31801, 03 December 2009 - 07:57 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...i thought you were looking for replacement advice since both PSU's have tested as bad

on the 500 w psu im using the +3.3 is +3.16 to +3.46V and its reading 1.78 V

the ratings on the psu that state that the +3.3 rail has a nominal voltage of anywhere between 3.16 volts and 3.46 volts...anything outside of that range should be considered abnormal....

it's possible that the 3.3 rail is going out...which could be caused by anything

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
so its safe to say i need a new psu , but im concerned about runnin through psu's like socks

if the +3.3 on each is below what it calls for is there a way to check what may be causing the problem with the 3.3 rails dieing on me?
Or are there too many factors involved to determine the problem?

thanks again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you having any other issues other than when your gaming...
if its only happening while gaming you may not have enough juice on the 12 volt rail..
the PSU your showing only has 22A on the +12V rail which is kind of low depending on exactly what hardware you have...the new higher end PSU's will carry up to 60A on the +12V rail

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
95% of my computer usage is for gaming so this is where i notice the most problems...if im not gaming im just casually surfing the web

Im currently shopping around for a new psu so i will definately pay attention to the amps on the +12

but im still worried about the low numbers on the +3.3 (constantly shows 1.78v)

right now im back on the factory psu and integrated card but ive been running with this:

System : vista home premium SP2 32 bit
AMD Athlon 62 x2 dual core 5000+ 2.6 ghz
4 g ram (2x1g ddr2 800 mhz) (2x1g ddr2 666 mhz)
EVGA nvidia 8800 gts 320 mb
Hercules 500W Dual Fan Computer Power Supply

been runnin fine for months but recently ive noticed a slow decline in performance..i was pointed here when a fellow gamer noticed the readings on the psu voltage

like i said both (500w psu and 250w factory psu) +3.3 rails seem to be failing and im scared theres somethings wrong that will continue to eat up psu's

i cant find a good name brand psu thats big enough (power) and still small enough (size) to fit in my case (currently HP a6200n) so im lookin to buy a new case as well, but id like to make sure the problem with these psu's are figured out before i venture into other parts (mobo,cpu, ect)

thanks for your replies and help once again...ive gotten more help here in 1 day than every else this past week!

Edited by Neo31801, 03 December 2009 - 11:42 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The problem with the 3.3volts could be a bug in the board and how the programs pick it up.

Try HWMonitor and see what it reports.
You can also go into the bios and look. It is usually more accurate. I am not sure where you would find it.

To be absolutely sure you could test it on the PSU connector to the board with a meter (but this is dangerous to the untrained).
There are power supply testers also available for sale or take to a computer shop for testing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I highly recommend you go here to get up to speed on PSU's...its a good basic explanation of PSU's
PC Power Supply Wattage...Understanding Personal Computer PSU Wattage Ratings
if your only having the issue playing games and its been a gradual decline it may be a heat issue caused by dirt and dust bunnies or dust rhinos if you have a cat...
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside motherboard...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for us...
if you intend on blowing out the case be sure to unplug from the wall first and use short bursts with a can of compressed air you get at any place that sells computer parts or even some stores like walmart

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

The problem with the 3.3volts could be a bug in the board and how the programs pick it up.

Try HWMonitor and see what it reports.
You can also go into the bios and look. It is usually more accurate. I am not sure where you would find it.

To be absolutely sure you could test it on the PSU connector to the board with a meter (but this is dangerous to the untrained).
There are power supply testers also available for sale or take to a computer shop for testing.

this is the readings from the factory psu

Posted Image

it'll be a bit before i can swap them back out to check the 500w

thanks

Advertisements

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I highly recommend you go here to get up to speed on PSU's...its a good basic explanation of PSU's
PC Power Supply Wattage...Understanding Personal Computer PSU Wattage Ratings
if your only having the issue playing games and its been a gradual decline it may be a heat issue caused by dirt and dust bunnies or dust rhinos if you have a cat...
go here and download Everest Home Edition 1.51...launch it and click on the + beside motherboard...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it for us...
if you intend on blowing out the case be sure to unplug from the wall first and use short bursts with a can of compressed air you get at any place that sells computer parts or even some stores like walmart

I'm guessing you meant + beside computer, not motherboard?

Posted Image

and as far as cleaning ...a lil OCD keeps my rig clean enough to eat out of :)
i also keep a very close eye on what temps im allowed to monitor using a couple programs to insure an accurate read
(speedfan, evga precision , cpuz and everest)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Its not looking good for those PSU's. They are reporting all the same for the 3.3

Did you look in the bios for the readings?

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Its not looking good for those PSU's. They are reporting all the same for the 3.3

Did you look in the bios for the readings?

no luck finding any voltage readings in the bios...but after some googling im off to see if i over looked it

**** after a 2nd look (using this image i found as a reference http://img47.exs.cx/...ntectp5505.jpg) i still can not find any votlage readings anywhere in the bios

all i was able to find was the cpu info and rpm for the cpu fan

Edited by Neo31801, 03 December 2009 - 03:48 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
launch everest and have it set to get the temps and voltage...minimize it and try playing a game for about 5 minutes to heat things up and then bring up everest and get a new screenshot for us...

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

launch everest and have it set to get the temps and voltage...minimize it and try playing a game for about 5 minutes to heat things up and then bring up everest and get a new screenshot for us...

hope this is what you were lookin for
also this is with the factory psu and 6150 onboard gpu

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU 25 °C (77 °F)
Aux 32 °C (90 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2689 RPM
Chassis 7584 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.34 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 1.78 V
+5 V 5.51 V
+12 V 11.71 V
+5 V Standby 5.05 V
VBAT Battery 2.99 V

also last night my brother bought the psu from his computer over for me to try out and guess what...the +3.3v read 1.78 volts like the other two

thats 3 psu's and 2 programs and the same reading...starting to agree with

after about 20 mins of gaming i ran everest on his psu :

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 44 °C (111 °F)
CPU 25 °C (77 °F)
Aux 16 °C (61 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2679 RPM
Chassis 7941 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.34 V
+2.5 V 2.48 V
+3.3 V 1.78 V
+5 V 5.56 V
+12 V 11.84 V
+5 V Standby 5.11 V
VBAT Battery 3.02 V

I am now using my evga 8800 gts and the 500 w psu 1st mentioned in this post again since all this seems to be is an error in program readings...unless anyone here has any other ideas or opinons

Edited by Neo31801, 04 December 2009 - 05:01 AM.