Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer all of a sudden became extremely laggy

• Please log in to reply

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Just today I noticed if I try to do anything at all, my cpu usage will go straight up to 100%, whether its click my start menu, or just doing anything more than browsing the web, it still quickly shoots up and lags me really bad, I have ESET Smart Security 4 and I've checked my HiJackThis for anything bad and it's clean, I don't get why its so slow, It's XP Pro with 768mb of ram and a Pentium 4 northwood 2.0ghz processor(Single core)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
press ctrl+alt+delete keys at the same time...click on the processes tab...click on where it says CPU several times quickly...that will bring whats using the most resources to the top of the list...get a screenshot for us and post it...

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I can't, I use process explorer its better, and even with that it changes, one minute explorer.exe is taking 80% cpu usage, the next minute process explorer itself eats 50%, then suddenly chrome eats 100%, and then it goes back down, but then if I do anything it'll suddenly begin to lag, before anybody suggests me to run malware cleaning guides, I'm pretty sure I'm clean

Edited by stupidhomer, 05 December 2009 - 04:11 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please do what I asked and yes I know the values are constantly changing...