Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Where O where did my letters go?

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning - pouring cats and dogs here!
Anyhow, I have a drive partitioned into 2 segments - S and T. All of a sudden they have been renamed to K and L. I went into computer management, disks, and tried to rename the letter, but when the available letter pop-up came up neither S or T was there for me to select.
Any ideas?
Sure do appreciate your help!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
right click on my computer...manage...storage...disk management...
drag the window open far enough to see all your drives including your optical drives ...get a screenshot and post it...

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Happyrock,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a copy of the info - especially since it's a scrolling window. As soon as I figure it out, I'll send it.
Now, another question... Is your avatar Snake Plisken?? He's my favorite guy of all movie characters!

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Happyrock,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a copy of the info - especially since it's a scrolling window. As soon as I figure it out, I'll send it.
Now, another question... Is your avatar Snake Plisken?? He's my favorite guy of all movie characters!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
enlarge the disk management window and then do the following.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks rshaffer61 - you made that very easy for me! I appreciate your help.

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi HappyRock,
here's my screen prints....
I've tried lots of newbie stuff and can't
get them back.
I appreciate your help!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Top_part.JPG
  • scroll_12_3_2009_9_37_17_PM.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you have a card reader attached or several usb flash drives attached to the system at the same time in the past...
just out of curiosity...why do you want to rename the drive letters
BTW...is you add any more to the H drive you will not be able to defrag it...you need at least 15% free and you only have 16% free now

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
I want to keep the drive names at S and T. All my shortcuts point there (and there are tons of them). Now that's it has renamed these drives, will they stay that name or will the computer rename them again? If it won't rename them again, I'll keep the new letters but need advice on an easy way to change all my shortcuts.

Yes, I did have my UBS thingees attached before.

Thanks for the heads up on H. I guess that's it's usage for now. And, I'll probably see if it needs to be defragged.

Any suggestions what I should do at this point?

Snake Plisken - he's the man!!!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I want to keep the drive names at S and T. All my shortcuts point there (and there are tons of them)

what do you mean by this...

(and there are tons of them)

the way windows assigns drive letters is by how many drives are connected and have assigned drive letters...like those usb drives ...your camera...external drives optical drives...those card readers...ect...
if you really want to change the letters are are willing to take the chance of being unable to get to your data try here...read the warnings
or here...start reading right below where it says Phillip E. Thomas

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks for the informative reading...
"tons of them" is shortcuts I have on my desktop. I have them neat and tidy though, using 'Fences' ~ know it?
Anyway, something interesting just happened. I having been rebooting with a soft boot and could not find S and T. This last time I rebooted with a hard boot and Wahla!!
The letters were back!
I'd like to thank you for all your help and patience.....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

just remember this...if you boot up with any kind of flash drive or camera or external hard drive attached to the computer the drive letters will change again..

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

just remember this...if you boot up with any kind of flash drive or camera or external hard drive attached to the computer the drive letters will change again

This would be true if he is allowing the computer to pick the path. If he sets the path/drive letter, then it should not change. We are not sure if the OP actually set the letter.

123runner

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
You guys are the BEST!! When I reboot, I'll let you know what happens to my letters.
I'm sure I'll be "calling" again, there's so much that I don't know how to fix or where to look to find out how to fix it.
Thank you so much for your help!!