Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Home Wireless Network CHEAP!

• Please log in to reply

markmcneil

markmcneil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What is the best solution to a wireless home network. I need to be able to access one computer from another and vice versa. HOW!!??!!

Advertisements

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, if you have XP Professional on both your computers, it would be possible with the Remote Desktop service.

If you don't there are a lot of services that you can also use.

One of them, and the one that I'm using, is called RealVNC.

www.realvnc.com

There's a free version that lets you view any computer on a network. I used that version to get a feel of what it's like.

I got the Personal version, which is $30 and you get to keep it forever, unlike online-based services like GotomyPC which is $20 a month.

If you have XP Pro, I think it'd be better if you use that. Theres a lot of firewall stuff you have to change if you use another service like the one I'm using. I think since Remote Desktop is built right into XP Pro, you probably don;t have to configure much.

It also works on Windows 98, ME, and 2000, but not on XP Home.

Hope it helped :tazz:

the_Jackal

the_Jackal

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
when you say that you need to be able to access one machine from the other, what specifically is it you need to be able to access?

If it is just files you need to be able to access then a FTP server would be a good idea, bullet proof FTP server i think is a good easy program to use but you would need a FTP client to use with that such as bullet proof FTP or flash FXP which is my favourite that said i use that as it works great with my modded xbox.

If you are good with the networking side of things you could just network the two together, which ever way you go i think you would be wise to use volcomssj48's advice and use the VNC server / client as you never really know when you may need it, is an exceptionally useful little application, that said if you are using a firewall (which is advised) you may need to be near both machines when you go to use VNC viewer for the first time as you may need to accept the incoming connection.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

dsltechsupport

dsltechsupport

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If all you need is to connect one system to another, connected a Crossover cable between the to, turn on filesharing in both systems and they are connected, you can share printers and files.
a crossover cable is advalable at any local pc store and you can have them made for more than 100 ft
This sets up a peer to peer network, basic and simple

Brylee

Brylee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can access your computer through Internet using remote access solutions like "RemotePC" (http://www.remotepc .com). It is a secure way to read emails, work on the documents and retrieve files from your home or office computer remotely. The communications between the computers are encrypted for additional security.