Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AVAST UPDATE MESSED MY COMP BAD!

• Please log in to reply

AQUA258

AQUA258

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
MY LAST TWO POSTS;

Ok guys, its been a while since ive been here (which is a good sign, you taught me well) but looks like i need some assistance again.

Comp went mega slow so i ran cleaners..malbytes,spybot sd, and some others...nothing was found. Then i ran trend housecall and it found a few. It cleaned all but the CRCK_WFPDIS.A

My comp is running faster and opening pages but i would like to sort this out. Oh, i use Avast and it didnt pick anything up, even in boot scan. Although i did notice something that i think also needs fixing. While boot scanning it showed a warning that "The parameter F was missing"?

I tried looking for answers to fix the probs but came up with none. Some help would be appreciated....Thank you

Sorry havent been by. Turns out all the viruses trojans i thought i had were false positives caused by an update from "AVAST" From what ive read the only way to fix the problem it has caused is to delete it untill they find a fix.

I now have a whole heap of probs. I was running Avast and it found all theses infections, of cause i instructed to delete all infected files. This was before i found out paragraph one(above). Now i cant d/load anything, no system restore, files missing, programs gone-not working....etc etc...

I have no protection on the comp.....HELP

UPDATE;

I have managed to get AVG d/loaded but when it did a full "Command Line Scan everything came back as "file locked...Not tested".
My comp sounds like its running a scan constantly. When i bring up task manager it doesnt show a program "running". Still cant run some software e.g. adaware, spybot s/d, All malware soft"s are coming up clean. Safe mode is not working right at all. To navigate in here is a a long process. Cant click on any links/ they dont open.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. Avast recognize the problem, issued another update that fix it and, most important in your case, shows you how to get out of the mess.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
WOULD YOU LIKE TO GIVE ME THE LINK SO I CAN TRY IT IN MY BROWSER. AS I SAID IN MY UPDATE I CANT CLICK ON LINKS, THEY DONT WORK...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Type the following in the address bar. http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=51647.0

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
HAD A LOOK THERE AND THATS ALL GOOD FOR PEOPLE THAT HADNT/DIDNT DELETE AVAST. EVEN IN SOME OF THE FORUM TOPICS IN AVAST PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINIG THAT THE SO CALLED FIX IS NOT FIXING ALL THE DAMAGE IT DID. E.G. I CANT CLICK ON LINKS, SAFE MODE IS ALL OVER THE SHOP. STILL CANT USE SOME SOFTWARE, MISSING FILES????

WHAT TO DO???

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First of all try System Restore. This may not solve all the problems but could help with some.

basically You have to uninstall and reinstal or repair the affected programs. Office have a repair option in the help menu (identification and repair). You may, or may not, need office installation CD. As for windows, place windows installation CD in the drive and click exit when it shows up. Click Start and Run. In the dialog box type sfc /scannow (please note the space before /) and let the process run to the end at which the dialog box disappears. If you don't have Windows CD then you can try the process without the CD but it may not succeed.

If that doesn't help either then a windows repair, as described in the link in my list below, would be your next step.