Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erratic CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

boiler09

boiler09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I'm having issues with my Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop. Upon boot, everything is normal. Just recently, though, while browsing the web or not by my computer at all the CPU fan will all of a sudden open up full-throttle and my cpu usage will shoot up dramatically and stay there. My cpu temp will plummet due to the fan being on constantly at full throttle.

First off, I updated and ran both SpyBot and Mcafee with nothing found.

Next, I installed Process Explorer in an attempt to find the process that was bugging out. It doesn't seem like it's one single process that is doing it, but a culmination. Even TaskManager will use ~ 10-30%. Firefox will increase it's usage and be really slow. I have attempted to pinpoint where the problem is by kiliing a suspending processes, but with no luck. Even when I kill all apps that are using lots of CPU, it still bounces my CPU from 5%-40% every second. This is the last couple weeks of my senior year at college, and I need my computer to work correctly. Any help is extremely appreciated.

Edited by boiler09, 03 December 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements