Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are theese parts ok?

• Please log in to reply

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi everyone, could you just tell me if theese parts are compatible?

:tazz: ;) ;) :) :) :) :yeah:

1.Cpu
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 (939 pins it's a 939 finally lol)

2.Cd-rw
Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW

3.motherboard
Is the A8V Deluxe (cauz it supports 4 modules in dual channel) a good motherboard? What should I get?

4.hard drive
Western Digital Caviar 120GB 7200rpm ATA100

5.case
Coolermaster Wave Master Case - Silver TAC-T01 (ATX form)

6.graphic card
ATI RADEON X850 XT

7.sound card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

8.RAM
Corsair 2048MB PC-3200 TWINX-Dual Channel DDR (4 modules of 512MB)

9.Wireless card
D-Link High-Speed 2.4GHz 108Mbps PCI Adapter - DWL-G520

10.power supply
Enermax 485W NoiseTaker Power Supply ATX 12V 2.0 (485 sounds good for me...)

11.DVD-RW
Sony DRU-530A (+/- double layer)

12.cpu fan
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 (is it a high quality fan?)

13.Two case fans (80 mm)
2 x Sunon KD1208PTB2 (is it a high quality fan?)

Do I need another sort of fan? What is the cooling liquid exactly? Does it remplace all the fans?

What do you think about the S-ATA technology for hard drive? Is it a good quality/price?

Sorry for my english, I speak french.

Thx :beer:

Edited by [x]t4sy, 16 May 2005 - 08:36 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

everthing looks real good I prefer Abit boards but Asus makes very good boards and if it has the features you like then great.

The enermax 485w will be fine I prefer antec or ultra xconnect 500w because of its modular cabe design helps with cooling and cable clutter, check it out.

The cpu hsf by thermeltake is good but look at a thermaltake venus12 it comes with a fan controller, helps with noise.

Liquid cooling uses a pump to circulate water held in a container to cool some components it does eliminate fans so no noise, farely new technology but has been tested and works fine. I have never used a liquid system so canot recommend one. If you air cool however I do recomend a fan controller.

sata drives are a bit faster than ide but a bit more trouble to setup there quallity is very good and are the future it also helps with cooling and cableing because of its thin cable that connects to the mobo, no more bulky ribbon cables. I now use sata on all my new builds.

Hope this helps somewhat but all your choices are very good just showing you some options.

Rick

BTW your english is fine

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
agree with doby. a very good sytem. definitely go with SATA if you can, for all the reasons he listed.
I have that same video card (ATI x850xt), it freaking rocks. one warning, it takes up two spaces, so make sure you can afford to lose the PCI slot- doesnt look like it should be an issue for you.
only suggestion I would make would be to keep the DVD-RW, and only get a standard CD-ROM. the DVD burner can burn CD's. use the CDROM for running game discs, etc. this will prevent wearing out the bearings on the more expensive burner.

liquid cooling is interesting, I have seen it installed once. it starts around $200 though, so unless noise is a major concern, fans should be fine.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
DFI makes a gaming series motherbard called lanparty and there great, Id go with Sata also but look into the Western Digital Raptor it comes in a 36.7 and a 73 Gb but its 10,000 rpm instead of 7,200 and the slow 5,400. The Raptor is great for gaming purposes!! You can also get 2 and put on a Raid 0... For even faster performance.

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you very much everyone, you save me. lol

Doby thank you for all your advices, I'm looking for an Abit AV8-3rd Eye it looks great. But I'm really mix up about the memory PC-4000 and DDR3200 and Dual Channel, what are the impact and what does it mean? ;)

Audioboy, thanks for the tip, I'll take that in mind but I don't think it will be a problem ;) .

JRM, I'll go with two Western Digital / Raptor / 74GB / 10K / 8MB / SATA-150 which I'm going to connect in RAID (that will be funny to config :tazz: ). Thank you for your help.

I've tried to look for some liquid cooling system but what I've found on tigerdirect was only for socket 740 or 940 and they were looking sooo cheap. Whatever if someone could advice me a brand or a model it would be nice! Right now, I'm checking on zipzoomfly but why is it wrote that there's a fan include in it? It's not suppose to be noiseless? (I would like a intern liquid cooling system)

Edited by [x]t4sy, 17 May 2005 - 03:40 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
they still have a fan or two with liquid cooling. its the same basic concept as the radiator in a car. the stuff in a PC liquid cooling system is basically radiator fluid from a car anyway...
fluid moves through the engine (CPU, video, whatever its connected to)pulling heat away. this liquid then returns passes through a chamber with lots of surface area, and exposed to moving air (the radiator). the fan forces more air to move over the heat fins, cooling them off. the liquid is then returned to the system, and the process continues.

in a PC, the radiator is much smaller, with only a couple of fans running slowly to cool the liquid.
check out a case from antec, it has the liquid cooling built into it, with the fans for the cooling on the top of the case. it has 3 fans, adjustable speed, and runs from near silent, to pretty quiet when its on full speed.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Doby thank you for all your advices, I'm looking for an Abit AV8-3rd Eye it looks great. But I'm really mix up about the memory PC-4000 and DDR3200 and Dual Channel, what are the impact and what does it mean?

All curent mobo's on the market run the ram clock at 400mhz witch is what pc3200's speed is so you will see little performance gain by using faster ram such as pc4000 this is especially true with Amd based systems so save your money and get the lower cost pc3200. I think the advertizement of faster ram is just a marketing ploy right now because untill they get the ram clock on mobo's to run more than 400mhz witch won't be anytime soon there ain't much gain.

Dual channel ram is another story, it is much faster because you are doubling the bandwidth so if you can afford it I would always recommend getting it. just purchase the ram together in a package ( same manufactuer and speed) sometimes they call this a dual channel kit.

The mobo also has to support dual channel ram, the Abit AV8 does as do most socket 939 boards but alwys make sure. Amd socket 754 boards do not support dual channel.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Rick

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok thank you, I'll choose fan after all, no cooling system. Nice explanation Rick :tazz:. So now with all of theese part I'll be able to build my comp? Do I need some other cables or accessories?

1. CPU
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55

2. CD-RW
Lite-on 52x32x52 CD-RW

3. Motherboard
Abit AV8-3rd Eye

4. Hard drive
2 x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10 000 RPM 8MB SATA-150

5. Case
Coolermaster Wave Master Case - Silver TAC-T01

6. Graphic card
ATI RADEON X850 XT

7. Sound card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

8. Ram
Corsair 2048MB PC-3200 TWINX-Dual Channel DDR (4 modules of 512MB)

9. Wireless network card
D-Link High-Speed 2.4GHz 108Mbps PCI Adapter - DWL-G520

10. Power supply
Enermax 485W NoiseTaker Power Supply ATX 12V 2.0

11. DVD-RW
Sony DRU-530A

12. Cpu fan
Thermaltake Venus 12

13. Case fans
2 x Sunon KD1208PTB2

14. Accessories
- A screwdriver
- A 5mm socket wrench
- A needle nose
- An antistatic wrist strap

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
most cabling should come with the mobo and/or components.
you may need to get some thermal paste, if its not included with the hsf.

for SATA drives, you will probably need a floppy drive to install the SATA drivers during the windows load. if you have one you could borrow from another PC, that would be fine, save the few bucks it costs for a new one...

looks like your about ready!

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok thanks a lot ;) :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing, if your drives are OEM you will need mounting screws

The only other thing I can think of besides what audioboy said is a fan controller for the case fans, you don't really need this

The thermaltake cpu cooler will have its own controller, you'll see how nice it is and want one for the case fans but you could add that later.

goodluck and let us know how it goes.

Rick

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes I'm ordering all the parts tomorrow but I see big BIG BIG difference of price between www.pccyber.ca and www.newegg.com. Is it normal? Are all the price in canadian dollars?

Edit :

Lol no they aren't :tazz: I was like omg it's cheaper than the official website.

Edited by [x]t4sy, 19 May 2005 - 11:30 PM.

[x]t4sy

[x]t4sy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi,

Do I need the registered memory?

Corsair 2048MB PC-3200 TWINX-Dual Channel DDR - TWINX1024RE-3200LL (4 modules of 512 MB)

It's registered but i'm pretty sure it's ok, am I right?

http://www2.abit.com...ries/memory.php

I'm looking for DDR-400 and there's not my corsair memory :tazz: ;) .

But if you're going there : http://www.pccyber.c...uct_types_id=20
I'm looking under Corsair XMS REGISTERED DDR (AMD 64FX)
and my memory is the one at 477.

It is also sayed on http://www.abit-usa....ies=1&model=201
that

CPU Integrated Dual Channel Memory Controller
- Four 184-pin DIMM sockets (Un-buffered Non-ECC DIMM)

Is the un-buffered non-ecc dimm the same as unregistered memory???
;)

O-ho, look at that :

CoolerMaster Wave Master Silver ATX Mid-Tower Aluminum Case

.: Cooling System :.
- 80mm Fan Ports : 3
- 80mm Fans Included : 3

So I don't need the 80mm case fans? Or do I need them because the include ones are too cheap?

Edited by [x]t4sy, 19 May 2005 - 11:50 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Im not a 100% sure on this, but I think that registered memory earns the "registered" title by submitting modules for serious testing by someone (in this case, amd). the idea is that its been proven and approved, and thus they can charge more money for the registered status of the memory.
there is a little controversy around registered memory, since it is easy for the manufacturer to change the specs after it has earned its registration- thus voiding the seal of approval.

to be completely safe, go with any of the modules you see listed on the chart you linked of approved compatible memory. if abit is listing them as OK, you have nothing to worry about.
its only really cheap ram that can cause significant problems.

Edited by audioboy, 19 May 2005 - 11:57 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok there is some confussion here I need some time to sort this out but the Amd fx cpu does need registerd memory but the Abit board does not support ecc (error checking) memory so the ram Corsair 2048MB PC-3200 TWINX-Dual Channel DDR - TWINX1024RE-3200LL won't work because it is registerd but allso has ecc.

I will look into this further and post back