Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hit by an adware train

• Please log in to reply

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My system was poofed by what I think is a) adware. b) Malware, c) hijacked way bad.
It is a long story, but bottom line, I cannot use any program shortcuts. All Exe icons in programs or otherwise, on desktop etc, when I click icons, they all launch Adaware ?
Norton antivius scan show no virus, but found adware which adaware could not find. I am not able to use "Run / msconfig or regedit. I have to backdoor into Add / remove programs. Initially, when I cliked on icons I recieved the following message: "Windows cannot open file" " radio button 2 options are indicated.
"you may go on line to look up file automatically" ( which redirects me to a Microsoft page, with links CDKNOW.COM which then takes me to Filext.com.
2nd option radio button, "You may search from a list the program to open file". Way Too inconveinient ! Norton live update will not work either. Symantec Internet Security will not work. I do not have Microsoft Security Pack 2 as I had conflict experience with the Symantec products firewall etc. Bogged down my system performance . Adware scans says no threat files adware are found ? Any software I try to download and execute will not run. The adware found by Norton was the infamous Nnez & NDNuninstall6_38.exe. I am a magor neophyte in the rehelm of spyware, adware, malware removal. I have removed viruses using Symantec removal tools, but that is childs play. I have unistalled the NDotNet New.net Domains3.88 from the Add Removal and searched and deleted the NDNuninstall6_38.exe from as per Norton Security response for removal of Adware.NDotNet, but there is no way I can do the regedit navigate to subkeys because 1) I cannot get in to regedit. 2) I don't even know what a subkey is, which Symantech security response wants me to find, "navigate to" and delete. I'll blow away my registry in error and that will be Game over for my files, as this malware has disabled my ability to safely evacuate back ups of Pics, tunes and other precious files. I am not afraid to follow orders in repairing my system, as long as I have a geek in my corner explaining where to go and what to do. Regarding all the diagnostic stuff you may need me to DL, such as Hijack this etc, as I explained earlier, this bug may not let me open and run it. ;) I am amazed as I had Norton Internet Security, Norton Antivirus, and Lavasoft Adaware SE all guarding my system for these idiots. Only after unloading Adwatch feature for about 20 minutes and watching a few trailers for the new Star Wars did the bugs get in......... :tazz: As the Fly said in the movie the fly "HELP ME , HELP ME, PLEASE HELP ME !"
TY
Buffalohead

PS, I've been trying to Google my way out of this mess on my own, and I got a lot of good stuff out it, but I am still a toddler in tems of this stuff.

Edited by Buffalohead, 16 May 2005 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

Kristy

Kristy

Visiting Consultant

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
Hi Buffalohead,

Have you tried following the steps here?

~Kristy

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Kristy,

I did, however, remember I said when I clik shortcuts or program icons, the program will not execute, launch , whatever ......:tazz: When I download programs the .exe to install or launch will not open, execute or launch. So I cannot use the steps you gave me. I wish there wes a process by which I could re establish connectivity or association between my short cuts, icons and the the corresponding program .exe ;) . Any suggestions ? Perhaps you have ideas or you have a friends list of superhero geeks who can tell me why this is happeniing and how I can over come it.

I met with a computer repair house today who seems anxious to reformat my disc. But I have software I paid big $ for and downloaded w/o CD backup to reinstall so the reformat word just depresses me ;)

Thank you for your reply though!

Buffalohead

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You have a virus that is preventing you from running executable files.

http://www.thecomput.../HijackThis.com

download the above (right click, save as)...such programs do not often check for the .com extension.

Run it and post a log here and I will get you started before handing you over to the malware folks

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks, but the file would not open ? Any other ideas on what I can do to disbale this disabler ? Please my local repair shop is itching to reformat my C drive and I'll loose too much ! :tazz:

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

Buffalohead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I may have defeated the sith lord who poofed my PC. Thanx to all wonder geeks !
u da man / wo man (whatever) :tazz:

BH ;)

Edited by Buffalohead, 18 May 2005 - 10:29 PM.